Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ionasmirktwinkles t1_jcnfxi4 wrote

It’s been mentioned here, but the KitchenAid mixer cannot be mentioned enough. I inherited my mom’s - it’s about 40 years old and still works like a charm.

PicnicBasketPirate t1_jcr0rw4 wrote

Destroyed the "heavy duty" version within 2 days of getting it by making pizza dough.

Consider that one point against new KitchenAid Mixer

gravis86 t1_jd7dbt6 wrote

Which version, specifically? I have the pro 7-quart and have made lots of bread with it no problem. Also how old was yours? I know they upgraded the motor in the pro line about the time I bought mine, 6 years ago I think it was.

The tilt-head units are not built well enough for daily bread-making, and the bowl-lift 6-quart model is not in the same league as the pro line 7-quart, despite looking similar.

PicnicBasketPirate t1_jd7t6lr wrote

4.8L (so 5 quart?) Bowl lift "heavy duty"

2022, it was one day out of the box before dieing

gravis86 t1_jd7z043 wrote

Yeah that’s one thing that’s really frustrating about KitchenAid in recent years is they aren’t really straightforward about which models are built better than others. Unless you get the biggest pro model, you’re getting a small, not very powerful motor.

The “Professional” 500 has a 475W motor, versus the Pro-Line 7qt which has a 1.3HP (970W equivalent) motor. The motor in the Pro 7qt is not only more powerful, but it’s built different electronically.

PapaBless902 t1_jdas4ly wrote

I’ve been making pizza dough and other breads pretty stead for four years with mine, no issues.