Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

WeirdEngineerDude t1_jayzvkl wrote

I have a similar wahl that I bought in 1995 when my wife and I were dating. She has been cutting my hair with it since. I am pretty sure it was like $35 back then, and it's seen a lot of monthly haircuts...

Mad_Juju OP t1_jb13k5p wrote

Nice! My gf has been cutting my hair since the pandemic, and she's got so good at it, I won't be going back to a barber. She can also do our daughter's hair, and somehow, even her own. Frugal win!

ONEMORESWEETWATCH t1_jaz2ss1 wrote

team Wahl for the win.

2high4much t1_jazuczb wrote

I bought cordless Wahl

The charge is fine but the unit itself is falling apart in the first year or 2 and its only used once ever 2 months

arcticrobot t1_jaywwfa wrote

Mine is super worn but motor is strong and reliable. About 20 years plus. Made in US.

Using 2-3 times a week for all this time. That’s at least 2000 times used.

milesbeats t1_jb0viih wrote

Hey you can get replacement blades for them ..

arcticrobot t1_jb1vo5a wrote

I just did actually, sporting brand new set. It is the body shell that’s worn and faded

milesbeats t1_jb1w09s wrote

I like how wahl is still making good stuff ... Even the dirt cheap ones feel a lot better in the hand that anything matching the price

Deswizard t1_jaz3jai wrote

I really admire and respect someone who keeps all their equipment spotlessly clean.

phishphanco t1_jazbnjp wrote

Same. $35 ~12 years ago and still going strong. Now if I could just remember where I put that tiny bottle of oil for it…

phishphanco t1_jb0xx7d wrote

Update: found it! I wrote my original comment, half joking. But laying in bed last night I did start to wonder where the heck I put it, so this morning I looked around and I found it in the top of my toolbox. I remember now that I stored it there so it wouldn’t tip over and leak.

mio_cuggino t1_jaz2jk0 wrote

Good on you!

It's probably saved you thousands.

Here's to many more years

FanHassock t1_jb0revd wrote

Given the slightest care and occasional oiling, these things do indeed last forever.

Vvette45 t1_jb0xv9y wrote

Whatever you do, keep that forever. Do NOT buy the new ones, I'm on my third one in 4 years. They have gotten worse. My old one lasted me 15 years

Imaneetboy t1_jb10015 wrote

When I started balding I decided to just go full shaved head. I've been doing it myself for 10 years or so at this point. Lots of money and time saved.

hearonx t1_jb33x8w wrote

Same! Except I started earlier when I realized my barber was just putting a #4 blade guard on and shaving straight across the back of my neck. I can do that myself, and have for 25 years now. I see these in thrift shops with accessories and sometimes a case for $5 to $10. What a deal!!!!

IloveBarryBonds t1_jc5h6mq wrote

I've paid for only about 10 haircuts since 1992 since I do it myself.

ATS606 t1_jb0bgf9 wrote

These things are great. The ones I use have been truckin since 2010, but their dog shears wear out from heavier use (expected). Replaced our dog clippers 3x in the same time span. Saved thousands at this point, $20+ a pop for my hair, $100+ for dogs (2x), plus I started cutting our toddler’s hair earlier this year.

954kevin t1_jb0uoru wrote

I'm impressed with how clean your box is. Mine looks like its way overdue for its own haircut!

MargertitaMan t1_jb2smnw wrote

Got the same one. On the third set of blades.

NorCalHermitage t1_jb3edqr wrote

I've been using an Oster for over 20 years for my semiannual haircuts, no complaints. My sister gave me a Wahl, and it cuts much better. The tools (guards) are also more robust.