Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

WeCanBeatTheSun t1_je3y12y wrote

Any recs? I’ve been looking but the only actual vacuum insulated ones are around £100, which is fine but want to make sure I’m getting the value out of it

psimian t1_je4lpcm wrote

You're probably better off getting a separate thermos and transferring the coffee to that as soon as it's brewed. I have a 16oz stainless vacuum flask that is just about the perfect size. One cup of coffee goes in me, the rest goes in the thermos.

I'd imagine that a vacuum press would lose heat a lot faster because of the wider top (more metal to conduct heat up out of the vacuum chamber), and also through evaporative losses (steam escaping from the pour spout). The press + thermos solution is also cheaper.

thatguyned t1_je6pq6d wrote

It looks like stainless steel double insulation French presses are becoming a common thing, just had a google.

The one thing I can't figure out is why it's not common to have a way to remove the grounds but keep the liquid in the press to take advantage of that insulation.

Lt_muckety_muck t1_je77ctp wrote

When the grounds are compressed down on the bottom like that, you slow down the steeping really significantly. If you're super picky about coffee, this might not be good enough for you. For most people, it's fine and the coffee still tastes decent.

thatguyned t1_je8s2hv wrote

I guess, but they could hit the mark for both types of customers by adding a removable cage or tray at the bottom that you could just lift out with the press.

Put a metal filter on a pole like a normal press, then slide a second filter over it attached to a holo pole that acts kind of like a sandwich for the grind.

Have some sort of twist mechanism that allows you to lock the 2 poles and lift both together and BAM! quality insulated French press coffee.

Maybe I should drop a patent on this...

Lt_muckety_muck t1_jea8ozj wrote

There might be a way to do it, but tbh it sounds messy. You'd have to fully encase the sandwich or you'll have grounds falling out into the coffee. So you'll need a lip on the bottom filter to act as a vertical wall. Then you'll need a rubber gasket to get a tight seal on the bottom so grounds don't go around the edges and later get in your mug when you pour. The whole apparatus will undoubtedly be dripping as you take it out, so it needs to be done over the sink or trashcan.

At that point, might as well get a thermos.

Lt_muckety_muck t1_je6rya7 wrote

All of this is true, but you actually have to do it. I use the Coffee Gator insulated press, and it's just easy. Usually I pour the hot water, take the press and a cup back to my desk, start a zoom meeting, and press/drink/refill my cup throughout the meeting.

Depends on the kind of person you are. If you're thinking, "why are you so lazy? Just get the thermos." Then get a thermos. If instead you're thinking, "oh yeah, one extra step, I probably won't do it most of the time, and then I'll have to clean another thing." Then get the insulated press.

psimian t1_je9hzu5 wrote

Clean my thermos? Clearly you overestimate me.

But yeah, it's a complicated equation based on how hot you need your coffee stay, how likely you are to use a thermos, and how much you want to spend.

Note: when the press/thermos gets to the point of being embarrassingly dirty, Astonish: Clean and Revive gets rid of all the scum with no effort. It's overpriced so I don't use it very often, but that stuff is incredible when it comes to cleaning old coffee/tea residue.