Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Insight12783 t1_je4ozpa wrote

Water loses heat faster in metal vs glass , actually. It isn't a significant difference, but metal is one of the best conductors of heat. Aka, it pumps the heat outside to the environment, which results in the water losing heat faster.

Divtos t1_je4pbgj wrote

Do they not insulate these? I have insulated stainless bottles that will keep liquids hot or cold for many hours.

Insight12783 t1_je4pkoh wrote

Ahh, that's a good point. I should've drank coffee before making my neckbeard "well, actuallypushes glasses up on sweaty nose"

HybridVigor t1_je5gpri wrote

Mine isn't insulated. I just pour the coffee into a thermos after pressing it. The coffee snobs say it's better not to steep the grounds longer than around five minutes or so anyway because it allegedly increases bitterness for people who are genetically unlucky enough for coffee to taste bitter at all.

answerguru t1_je5p6j5 wrote

The one I had was double wall insulated.

vaskadegama t1_je7tukj wrote

This is the key. The insulation comes from the air that is intentionally trapped between the two layers of metal.

SleepTightLilPuppy t1_je59g6p wrote

Metal has mich higher thermal capacity though. So it can keep way more energy in it. It absolutely cools slower than glass given they're the same volume, temperature and shape.

Bongos-Not-Bombs t1_je6yc29 wrote

These do act like a larger heatsink than glass ones, so it's not necessarily a bad idea to preheat them before adding coffee. It's really only something you have to worry about with very light roasts that take pretty high slurry temps to brew properly.

The effect is a lot more noticeable with plastic vs. ceramic V60 pourovers.