Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Tmblackflag t1_jbdm1mg wrote

The conundrum is people want lighter. Lighter gear wears more quickly than all the sturdy shit that used to be the norm.

Culverin t1_jbdopbs wrote

They used to make both.

But they've killed all their heavy duty bags. No more military LEAF Drybags, No more Naos, No more Arrakis, No more Alpha SK.

The only thing left is the LEAF Courier

antelopepoop t1_jbfbktw wrote

💯. If you want this level of sturdy, look into hunting packs. Cordura still exists, it's just getting harder and harder to find at REI.

seamus_mc t1_jbcyn0t wrote

Old Arc Teryx and Osprey packs were the gold standard. I wish i stocked up on more…if i knew then what i know now!

TheGalore t1_jbdl4b0 wrote

Out of curiosity, how old are we talking? What’s years/age is often considered the gold standard?

Culverin t1_jbdofhs wrote

Here's my personal take,

They're still good, their quality control is insane. I go to their factory outlet in North Van and see their factory seconds. Half the time I can't even see the cosmetic defects even when the tag points them out.

However, almost none of their stuff is made in Canada anymore. Exceptions being the Alpha SV, their military LEAF line, and their Professional line. Essentially "when life is on the line".

My personal take is their golden age was when they were owned by Amer, from mid 2000s to around the mid 2010s. And definitely before Amer was controlled by Chinese firm Anta. They have a lot more casual products now, and some high end fashion collabs. They're chasing fashion and mainstream instead of hard users. While I would say their stuff is well made and durable. Very few of their packs would I classify as indestructible.

The Alpha SK is a recent pack that was bomb proof, it's gone now.

The Naos and Arrakis, are long gone. And nothing they have come even close to those in terms of durability.

XVOS t1_jbeojop wrote

I’ve heard similar things about their ski patrol gear (pro line)

Southpontiac t1_jbeue9d wrote

Even some of their miliary leaf stuff was made in china last time I went to one of their dealers. Not sure if that has changed or not.

TylerDurdenUMD t1_jbhalgz wrote

Yeah some of that stuff it’s best to stalk the .mil gear sellers on IG.

evilocto t1_jbfj0md wrote

Harnesses are still made in Canada for climbing and they are phenomenal It is a shame everything else isn't.

b0bfr4nk t1_jbgy83q wrote

I have had an arrakis for over 10 years and It travelled to a few places around the world with me. It looks brand new. Couldn't ask for a better bag.

cascadianpatriot t1_jbf6dnb wrote

I thought they were better in the 90s.

Culverin t1_jbfbuoz wrote

The materials they are using, some of the tech and design elements have definitely improved over time.

For their packs, I think the best build quality is with their AC2 tech

They are fully waterproof, completely seam sealed bags.

I've got 3 made with this tech. Nothing else on the market seems to come even close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52MtpCB_P_8

https://www.carryology.com/bags/arcteryx-leaf-drypack-25-road-test/

2021sammysammy t1_jbd8zqu wrote

Are Arc'teryx products not as good anymore? I was hoping to get one of their jackets once I get enough disposable income

Optimist1988 t1_jbdfsqw wrote

The jackets are great and imo the best fit as well. They’re expensive but where I live it’s always raining and I’m willing to lay for the quality

huskers2468 t1_jbe7xp1 wrote

My jacket from 2 years ago is one of the best constructed piece of clothing I've bought in a long time. They are still worth it in my opinion.

jdotmark12 t1_jbdmw47 wrote

Apparently they were bought by a Chinese company and have gone downhill since.

Don’t have any personal experience but people say they focus a lot on being a luxury brand.

PrimeIntellect t1_jbg1rbd wrote

I have only had good experiences with every Arc'teryx product I've purchased. They are all expensive as hell but the quality is absolutely there. I think they make the best shells you can get.

Optimist1988 t1_jbdfzwm wrote

Is that a made in Canada one? I had a bora 60 that I used for backpacking trips in the 2000’s. It was a workhorse and Arcteryx even changed one of zippers for me for free after 20 years. I sold it last year and I’m sure it’ll get another 20 years of service

AquilaTorre t1_jbfiz98 wrote

Damn, yeah Arcteryx has definitely changed. I sent back a hoodie hoping for a simple repair and they refused to do it. Same with the zippers on my partner's tights.

QuincyPondexter t1_jbew6ys wrote

I’ve had my Patagonia black hole backpack for 10 years now with little signs of wear and tear. I hope it lasts as long as yours.

Past_Entrepreneur658 t1_jbfl1nf wrote

My Patagonia Blackhole backpack is 8 years old of at 3 times weekly use in the city. Still looks new. My Blackhole duffels have travelled the world and there is not an airline baggage handler that has killed them yet.

secderpsi t1_jbf0vkl wrote

I have the same pack from the same time period. Use it every day almost. I also have the big one, the Bora 80. At this point, I bet I'll go my whole life with these two as my main packs.

cascadianpatriot t1_jbf6kz3 wrote

I had a Bora 40 in the 90s. It wore out in like 2005. One of the best packs I’ve ever had.

Tonquin OP t1_jbfb1mw wrote

All the people I know who kept these packs still have them, and any of the bigger ones too. We all had climbing harnesses made by them too that lasted the life of the nylon. I've had lots of stuff since, but nothing has lasted.

nutsbonkers t1_jbffhxh wrote

For the price, their shit better last long.

WineSoda t1_jbfngbm wrote

I have an old camping/hiking pack I pull out every now & then and give it a deep sniff. I love that smell. I wish someone would make a cologne that smelled like camping.

NorahGretz t1_jbgg1xi wrote

Cool pack. My old Eastpak that I bought in college in the mid-80s is still my daily hiking pack. Doesn't have all those cool features, but I just load it up with water and snacks anyway. Do anywhere from 3-15 miles a day.

fishsandwich t1_jbgj64j wrote

I had this exact pack, same colour and all, in the early 2000s. I used it for about 5 years until it got stolen out of my old 4Runner along with most of my camping gear and about 100 CDs. A loss that still saddens me many years later. I even saw the guy on security footage but there was nothing to do about it

Tonquin OP t1_jbgqxm5 wrote

That sucks. Some things can't be replaced!

BetterRedDead t1_jbjzrc7 wrote

I feel like this is always the way with this type of product: if you want to get the best version of it, you have to get it relatively early. Once they catch on and become popular, invariably they begin cutting corners and making other manufacturing changes to bring down production costs. It’s unavoidable.

I have one of those Swiss Army backpacks, and you might say so what, those are everywhere. But the thing is, I bought mine in 2002, when it was a brand new product. In fairness, maybe they all hold up this well, but mine essentially looks brand new. The piece of plastic helping to firm up the laptop part has started to disintegrate, but that’s the only sign of wear I can detect, and it’s not a necessary part anyway.

gsjanbevsb t1_jc1vqku wrote

I have one of these bags. Bought it at a carboot sale not knowing about the brand, for £10. It has seen solid use for 10 years with no defects. It's been around the world multiple times, all sorts of stupid heavy weights in it and no issues.

Tonquin OP t1_jbfb94q wrote

Yeah, this is a Canadian one. You should have kept yours!

−1

qinetics t1_jbcx6q1 wrote

I don’t know, I was looking at Arc’teryx jackets a couple months ago, and they looked exactly like the quality in between of Uniqlo and Patagonia… except like 10x Uniqlo price.

I was ready to drop some bread and was quite disappointed.

−7

CEEngineerThrowAway t1_jbd49yt wrote

For me, the big difference compared to Patagonia is the cut instead of build quality. The Arc Teryx jackets all fit me perfectly without and restriction of movement. The hoods are perfect with helmets, and don’t restrict my view the way my Patagonia ski coat does.

Longtimefed t1_jbe508v wrote

I bought a Patagonia Pow Slayer; it’s a great, light rain shell— but it would be impossible on the slopes as there’s no room for anything but a very light fleece underneath.

They make the arms so freaking long you have to size down, whoch means a snug fit in the torso.