Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Noteagro t1_jcys0vz wrote

That is all contingent on parts being replaced and regular servicing. These style amps often need to be serviced once every 5-10 years based on the manufacturer’s recommendations.

I bet you know that, but make sure those that are being passed such an expensive piece of hardware understand they will need to pay those expenses too. Otherwise they will just end up with an expensive paperweight.

podaypodayson OP t1_jcyx5wz wrote

I can’t speak for other tube amps, but there is no recommended service interval for these. Replace the tubes when they burn out, and repair things as they break (as with anything else). I’ve had this amp 16 years now, and I’m still running the original tubes. They’ll likely need to be replaced soon, but that’s not a bad run

Noteagro t1_jcyxmgw wrote

Damn! That is really good, when I was looking at amps I kept seeing people talk about the tubes and other components need to be replaced after 5-10 years. Wonder if the high price point helps with better quality.

podaypodayson OP t1_jcz6mfq wrote

From what I understand, amp design can have a pretty significant impact on tube life. The harder the tubes are driven, the more often they’ll need replacement, so the amp tubes (the large 4) will need to be replaced probably twice as often as the pre-stage (the smaller ones in front). Considering this only puts out 75 watts per channel, it’s a pretty conservative design.