Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Shoot_2_Thrill t1_jbl2lvl wrote

5th dishwasher in 16 years? An issue not many people talk about is your water quality. If your water is hard (higher mineral content) then it is absolutely murder on your appliances. We have a Bosch and I recommend them but ours is struggling after three years in the hard water. Depending on your area you might want to look into getting a water softener (filter) which could help reduce home costs for everything in the long run. Hard water also causes other issues like scum in the bathroom and messes up plumbing. Sometimes the issue isn’t your dishwasher.

pit_sword t1_jbni4nr wrote

FYI, Bosch makes dishwashers with water softeners built in like the SHX78B75UC.

BoilerButtSlut t1_jbolylo wrote

This is also a common feature on many Miele's as well.

Not sure why I've seen it only on German-made dishwashers.

chasonreddit OP t1_jbl7kvv wrote

Thank you for the info, but water isn't my problem. I'm front range Colorado. They bottle our water to sell across the country. I have to add minerals to my hot tub to keep it in the appropriate range.

ryanwaldron t1_jbolbb3 wrote

Not bad quality as in “unsafe to drink,” but bad as in “lots of dissolved minerals.” Running off the mountains down to the front range allows the water to pick up lots of minerals that make it taste good, but those minerals can wreak havoc on the moving parts of a dishwasher. I’ve had mineral deposit issues causing lots of scaling in my house, so I recently installed a Nuvo H20 citric acid water conditioner. Hopefully my faucet heads will stop crusting over.

If you make the investment in a new dishwasher, investing in a water conditioner might be a good choice as well.

chasonreddit OP t1_jboqbsk wrote

You may have missed this bit:

> I have to add minerals to my hot tub to keep it in the appropriate range.

I don't know why, but too soft on a hot tub is as bad as too hard. When they installed it the tech tested and said "shit" and tossed another small batch of goop. Then he said "we get that a lot around here".

It's pretty soft. Colorado has a lot of different watersheds. We are St. Vrain with a little water from Thompson. But we are rarely above 60 ppm dissolved solids. It's a good thought, but I don't think my problem.