Submitted by Dazzling_Zucchini823 t3_12590vw in BuyItForLife

My partner and I run very hot at night and can’t seem to find the right comforter. We live in a pretty warm area year round and don’t have A/C or a heater. Our biggest problem is we want something light and fluffy thats soft on your skin, and gives you that ‘hotel cloud comforter’ type feeling, but can also keep us cool in the summers and warmer in the winters. It seems like a lot of the temperature regulating ones are thinner and not always as cozy as you want them to be? I’ve heard of trying a wool one as those seem to be the best for temp, but I’m worried we would get too hot especially in the summers. Appreciate any and all suggestions!!

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

ILikeEmNekkid t1_je37lsq wrote

100% cotton quilt. The same with blankets. I ONLY buy 100% cotton EVERYTHING, including clothing.

billythygoat t1_je3ikss wrote

Any good brands and cotton does make me sweat less.

Junior_Ad2955 t1_je3qu9w wrote

100% Cotton quilts, including the batting were hard to find but we love ours from Red Land Cotton

ILikeEmNekkid t1_je4fbkf wrote

My favorite quilts are by Levtex. They are a bit pricey, but you can get them from Kohl's when they are on sale and you have a coupon. I have dogs, so I always buy two of everything. It makes laundry day a lot easier.

I also use only flannel sheets. They are 100% cotton and help in the winter AND the summer. They are by Cuddl Duds, also being sold by Kohl's. I only shop these items when they are on sale.

billythygoat t1_je4rqcm wrote

It’s always summer here in Florida sadly. No flannel for me. And yeah, for a price of $300+ I’d expect no less lol.

Dazzling_Zucchini823 OP t1_je732o1 wrote

I keep hearing this too!! Cotten and linen are supposed to be the best fabrics for hot sleepers - thank you so much definitely going to do this. Any Cotten sheet suggestions? All the ones I’ve tried tend to wear out pretty quickly and get a ‘grimy’ feeling even with a once a week wash. Idk if that’s the right word, but hopefully that makes sense

ILikeEmNekkid t1_je7ejw3 wrote

I’ve got Cuddl Duds sheets from many years ago. Again, flannel isn’t just for winter. It’s very absorbent in the summer. Sometimes all you need are the sheets.

I believe you get what you pay for when it comes to bed linens. 🛌

I always use the search bar and put in 100 percent cotton when looking for anything.

Best wishes and good luck.

ruselstiltskin t1_je8asgm wrote

That grimy feeling might be some sort of build up from fabric softener if you use that in your weekly washes. The build up is like a waxy substance that might speed up discoloration and also prevent the fabric from breathing. Once I’ve stopped using that my clothes and sheets and towels seem to last longer.

Thebestamiba t1_jefy3uo wrote

For clothes I'd suggest trying out a hemp/cotton blend. Fell in love with that material and I don't think I can go back to pure cotton when i can help it

comfortably_bananas t1_je3fbgc wrote

I invite you to consider the option of two twin-sized duvets with a set of summer and winter covers. This combination gives so much flexibility for temperature regulation.

Dazzling_Zucchini823 OP t1_je737sj wrote

This is honestly genius!! A lot of our coupled friends have been switching to this too. Plus it would be nice to each get what we want. Thank you for this!!

comfortably_bananas t1_je77q14 wrote

The other bonuses are that no matter which option you pick, two twins are usually cheaper and they are much easier to wash!

ricardo9505 t1_je34clm wrote

Wool is for us Northern folk. Cold nights. Don't go wool if you plan to stay cool. Summertime I love my simple white Egyptian cotton sheets 1000 thread count or whatever, very premium given as a gift. Super soft. 12 years later still happy.

Junior_Ad2955 t1_je3riex wrote

It works pretty well for us, even in the dead middle of summer in the south.

Dazzling_Zucchini823 OP t1_je73hyq wrote

Do you by chance know what brand your sheets are if you’re willing to share?? Every ‘high end’ brand I’ve tried has worn out after a year or two

Junior_Ad2955 t1_je8fjcf wrote

Try Red Land Cotton. 5 years without a flaw in our set washer every 10 or so days. Really cozy and soft.

fridayimatwork t1_je34r86 wrote

I make my own quilts with cotton fabric and thin poly batting and everything else seems very hot (in hotels)

MelodyMight t1_je36cel wrote

I have a west elm comforter that is linen filled with poly batting and it’s perfect. The damn thing is falling apart but I continue to repair it because it’s the perfect weight

Starky513 t1_je3l9gb wrote

Your flair on the other subreddit says you want less government but in reality you're just another control freak when it comes to your boutique issues lol.

−11

kobayashi_maru_fail t1_je3scaz wrote

My husband and I have two queen sized duvet covers and the option to switch between summer and winter weight duvets, at our own speed. He likes summer weight almost all the time, I only switch to summer when it’s truly hot. Bonus, if you shift in the bed at night you don’t yank their blanket and wake them. I haven’t found any difference between IKEA and more expensive options.

Dazzling_Zucchini823 OP t1_je73q9c wrote

Yes!! People keep telling us to switch to 2 duvets too! Plus you can actually get what you want. Everyone also keeps suggesting the ikea cooling duvet. It’s sooo much more affordable than some of the other suggestions. Thanks for the recommendations!

Dat_Mustache t1_je4a526 wrote

STJÄRNSTARR (had to copy and paste this one) Cool Duvet from Ikea.

I'm under one right now and I'm positive my external parts are at triple digits when I sleep. This one is cool enough in the summer where I can cover myself with it with a foot or arm out and I'm comfortable at night.

But in the winter, I throw a linen duvet cover on it and also pair it with my Pendleton, and drop the temp in the house in the low 60's and I'm snug as a bug.

Dazzling_Zucchini823 OP t1_je74i3f wrote

Yes I looked into this one! I think I maybe even had it a while back at one point. I have had issues with ikea comforters tearing seams and leaking a bit. Have you had any issues with this one?

psimian t1_je4r5zm wrote

At night our house is usually 78F in the summer, and 55F in the winter. Our solution is a lightweight down comforter for the summer, and heavier "all season" down comforter for the winter. Sometimes the summer comforter gets layered on as well for particularly cold nights. Unfortunately I don't remember the brand of our lightweight comforter because the tag wore off long ago, but Brooklinen's lightweight comforter consistently gets high marks. It is 650 fill power, which is about the lowest I've seen from luxury brands. You may even want something in 500-600 range, which is generally considered more of a budget comforter.

Key things to look for are a very high thread count, all cotton shell (low thread counts leak feathers), and goose down fill. Also be sure to keep a cover on the comforter since cleaning down is a pain in the butt.

One other thing to consider is getting a wool mattress topper or pad. A lot of people don't realize that moisture regulation is just as important as insulation when it comes to maintaining a comfortable sleeping temperature. Foam mattresses and synthetic fill blankets tend to trap moisture, making it harder for your body to thermoregulate through perspiration. You wake up hot and sweaty in the summer even though you only have a thin blanket over you.

Wool is hands down the best at regulating moisture, but wool blankets tend to be heavy, and if you have enough wool to make a fluffy comforter you're going to roast. You can get the best of both worlds by putting a wool topper under you and a down comforter on top. The wool acts as a buffer, soaking up moisture when the humidity gets too high, and releasing it over time. The down comforter is breathable enough to let moisture out so it doesn't build beyond what the wool topper can handle.

My final bit of advice is don't make your bed in the morning. Fold the comforter and top sheet down to the foot of the bed and brush all the hair, skin flakes, and other bits of human off the bed. Leave the all the bedding exposed to light and air for the entire day. This will give the wool topper a chance to completely dry out, extend the life of your bedding, keep the sheets cleaner and less stinky for longer, and help with allergies if you have them (dust mites need darkness and moisture to survive).

ottersplash22 t1_je5osl3 wrote

Have you tried linen? I’m similar and I found that after much trial and error I found that for me linen sheets and a linen quilt work well. I add a down comforter on top in the winter but the linen layers seem to keep me cool.

I also read somewhere while on this quest that a lower quality down comforter with a higher percentage of feathers can give you more heft and “cuddle” without the excessive warmth. I’m currently using an ikea comforter that is 90% feather and it’s working nicely.

Dazzling_Zucchini823 OP t1_je74y60 wrote

Yes I have tried linen! I completely agree, it’s the best fabric for hot sleepers. My only problem is it wore out after a year or two and I couldn’t get rid of the discoloration from use even with a once a week wash - have you had this issue? Any brands you suggest? I’ve had like 5 people suggest an ikea comforter! It seems like there’s a few, including a cooling one. Do you know which one you have by chance? Thank you so much for sharing!

ottersplash22 t1_je7puri wrote

I didn’t approach my linen with the BIFL. I bought the old ikea linen set sheets about 6 years ago to see if I liked it and it’s still going strong now. I wash gentle with Woolite and air dry.

I got my linen comforter from quince and have had it about 8 months, so I can’t vouch for durability. But they have a 1 year return policy.

The down duvet insert is fjallarnika.

Junior_Ad2955 t1_je36iqv wrote

We use Frankenmuth Woolen Mill and even during the summer with our AC set on 72 and cuddling, my wife and I never get hot. We will never buy another comforter again and wouldn’t want to. They’re that good

Junior_Ad2955 t1_je36skc wrote

I would always suggest a good duvet cover though. Washing comforters kills them

Dazzling_Zucchini823 OP t1_je743y4 wrote

I looked into this one! The quality and sturdiness seems amazing. I really want to pull the trigger and drop on the investment but I’m only worried about our summers here as we do not have AC and it tends to get pretty toasty in our bedroom with direct sun. Do you think it would also do well in an environment like this?

Junior_Ad2955 t1_je7825e wrote

How warm does it typically get?

Dazzling_Zucchini823 OP t1_je7fjoj wrote

Nights will dip to 75F but not super humid, just hot! We run fans during the night to keep the air moving but it never really cools down

Junior_Ad2955 t1_je7i7de wrote

I’m not going to say that it will work for you, I would hate for it not to honestly

Environmental-End691 t1_je3r4ue wrote

Not sure how BIFL it is b/c someone stole ours from the laundry in our building the 1st summer we had it, but the Ikea hot-weather comforter was super-nice for me & the Mrs, and I sweat watching ice hockey on TV.

Dazzling_Zucchini823 OP t1_je749x4 wrote

Yes! Everyone keeps recommending this! I found online they have a cooling duvet - is this maybe the same one you’re referring to?

Lost_Impression_7693 t1_je5ddih wrote

Buy a cotton coverlet from Kohls. They’re light and stiff enough that they don’t cling to you and make you too hot. Make sure it’s cotton.

dlc12830 t1_je6j8km wrote

I have one of these in addition to a "summerweight" down comforter, and love them both: https://www.rileyhome.com/textured-cotton-coverlet

Dazzling_Zucchini823 OP t1_je75hxe wrote

Omg these look so so nice!! Perfect summer blanket - thank you for the recommendation! Do you mind sharing how long you’ve been using yours for? I’m curious how the quality holds up.

dlc12830 t1_je7aztw wrote

I've had both for about a year. In the summer, i swap out the down comforter/cotton duvet cover for the blanket, which I put into a linen duvet cover. It's the perfect combination and perfect weight for me in warm weather. As for quality, I have a lot of Riley bedding and it's all holding up perfectly.

hypolimnas t1_je3zeft wrote

Cuddledown Temperature Regulating Synthetic Fill Comforter. They have a mesh square at the intersection of each quilted square. Warmer then my thin cotton quilt. Comes in three weights.

Difficult_Jump_1439 t1_je6e7g8 wrote

Don’t use a comforter. Get a blanket and a fan with a timer. You’re welcome.

houtex727 t1_je34iww wrote

Jersey/T-shirt sheets and comforter here. For what that's worth. Love the feel.

Edit: I truly don't get you reddit users sometimes. :(