Submitted by Fefolino t3_y9etrw in BuyItForLife

Hi! Can you please tell me which is safer for health, if a Plastic (BPA-Free), Aluminium or Stainless Steel water bottle or if are all ok?

I heard that Stainless Steel are the best if it has to stay under the sun, but I need a water bottle to keep in my backpack, plastic ones are obv lighter, but I don't know if are ok for the health

Can you help me?

Thanks!

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

LowGradePlayer t1_it56y07 wrote

Stainless.

JuneIsChristmasmaybe t1_it5exbn wrote

Yeah I love my stainless but I also love my plastic naglene. I think when one eventually breaks, likely the naglene that I won't get another plastic bottle. I think I'd get a stainless naglene as the stainless bottle I have doesn't have the best lid and has a rubber washer that is almost impossible to remove and clean. Not to mention it will decay.

gavalant t1_it572qr wrote

Stainless steel is the healthiest of the three. They're not very heavy either.

BPA isn't the only harmful thing leeching from plastics.

modembutterfly t1_it5e8ct wrote

Pthalates are another harmful substance coming from plastic. They never get as much attention as BPA, but were identified a long time ago.

herroitshayree t1_it7z1iw wrote

Plus they don’t just take out the BPA, it serves a purpose and the plastic wouldn’t function the same without it (I think it makes it more flexible). Instead, they just use a similar compound that is chemically different enough that they can SAY it is not BPA, but still will have the same effect. In the US, companies don’t have to prove that a chemical is safe before they use it, it is on consumers and consumer advocates to prove something is harmful after the fact. So theoretically, the new chemical might be just as bad or worse than whatever is being replaced.

zrog2000 t1_itdp3og wrote

BPA has been replaced by almost the exact same chemical, BPS and is causing the exact same health problems.

BPA-free is pretty much a meaningless description.

xXx_Darush_xXx t1_ithrzoo wrote

I've recently replaced my old plastic bottle with a Klean Kanteen stainless steel single wall bottle, and I will never look back. It's surprisingly light, fits a little more water than my old one with pretty much the same height and the taste of the water is just so much better!

undercoverballer t1_it5im9f wrote

Glass is the best option in terms of potential health toxicity.

mrfluffy50 t1_it583zv wrote

Stainless steel. I use Stanley but it’s up to you! Plus durability, stainless steel will handle drops and dings. I have a old one and it’s so beat up but it tells a story

Moi_6083 t1_it5dvsl wrote

I’m a Kleen Kanteen person love it - thrown a coffee thermos 30 feet up into a tree to get a disc down that was caught, it hit the ground multiple times, i still use it almost daily for coffee or water. Get double hulled also Fyi

ThisWillBeOnTheExam t1_iu35zrn wrote

Second the Klean Kanteen motion. I’m loyal to this brand for liquid containers.

Chattypath747 t1_it571j2 wrote

You've got three choices: Plastic, Metal or Glass.

Glass is best for health but poor for durability in extreme cases.

Metal is good for health, good for durability but heavy.

Plastic isn't the best for health unless you go for a specific type of plastic (not BPA-free, because there are chemicals that can still leech out when plastic breaks down I think HDPE is solid) and is very light and cheap.

Stick with metal. Glass can be cool too if you don't expect to be in a gun fight.

vacuous_comment t1_it5eys4 wrote

> Metal is good for health, good for durability but heavy.

Errr, WTF? That is overly broad.

Aluminium is a metal and super light, far lighter than glass.

Mercury is a metal, it does not hold water and is super bad for health.

−7

siddowncheelout t1_it5fgw9 wrote

This guys makes a fantastic point. Do not under any circumstances but mercury and use it as a water bottle. Harmful to health and will not work well.

fazalmajid t1_it76yr7 wrote

Aluminium is also a neurotoxic, if nowhere near as bad as mercury

AutoModerator t1_it55hnh wrote

Hello /u/Fefolino! Thank you for your submission! The AutoMod thought that your post might be a request type post and has changed the flair accordingly, but if this was wrong feel free to change it back!

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

I-XIV-IV-XXV t1_it5c54l wrote

I use glass from mana. Very good quality

Dynamic-Wanderer t1_it8sfdk wrote

I used to be a Nalgene guy but recently switched to a Swell stainless insulated bottle. I cannot recommend the Swell bottles and tumblers enough!

wread017 t1_it5jdvg wrote

Aluminum is infinitely recyclable. Plastic and steel are not. Aluminum also uses a lot less energy during the recycling process than plastic.

dr-dog69 t1_it5obwc wrote

Just dont wash your aluminum in the dishwasher or you start to get pitting that leeches toxic aluminum oxide

BojackPferd t1_itg63e1 wrote

steel is also indefinitely recyclable. The best steel is actually made from recycled steel since the recycling process is quite compatible with the production steps for special steel alloys.

Mtnskydancer t1_it6so2w wrote

Weight wise, single walled metal (stainless steel or aluminum) are light weight, comparable to thicker plastics. Double walled can insulate quite well.

Electronic_Remove_13 t1_it72gss wrote

Whenever I’ve used stainless the water has had a metallic taste. Does that happen with all stainless or just the one I had? I couldn’t do it.

Low_Adhesiveness7213 t1_it7siqu wrote

That's usually only from cheaper quality stainless steel. Stick with quality brands and you should be good to go.

RoundPen t1_it8edts wrote

Is copper bottle safe to use? I hear they last a long time but it’s not very light and changes the taste of the water.

laughertes t1_it8xzn8 wrote

Stainless steel or reinforced glass are my materials of choice for portable beverage containers. Heavier, but non-reactive so there is little need to worry about leeching material.

Aluminum and BPA both leach material over time Stainless steel does too (very little, though), but iron in water is a supplement rather than a toxin

st3phy_ t1_itbpp30 wrote

Definitely stainless steel. And it keeps the cold or hot in for a long time

[deleted] t1_it574s8 wrote

[deleted]

−2

fazalmajid t1_it771c2 wrote

Only if they are coated inside (and those coatings often have... BPA). Aluminium is a neurotoxic.

Muncie4 t1_it5gwmi wrote

1. Wrong subreddit.
  2. Any bottle is fine. I have yet to pick up a newpaper and read, "Man dies from water bottle". That's not a thing.
−12