Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Xyspade t1_itrz7so wrote

You want a TPI or ILIVING. You won't find any motor made today that doesn't need to be regularly oiled, but at least those two have oil ports which will make it much easier. Air King which is owned by Lasko also makes a pretty good HV fan that uses ball bearings instead of sleeve bearings, which don't need oiling as often, but most of them ship with unbalanced blades so pick your poison.

GrannyLow OP t1_itspwv1 wrote

>You won't find any motor made today that doesn't need to be regularly oiled, but at least those two have oil ports which will make it much easier.

Really? Not to be argumentative but I have run box fans and ceiling fans literally continuously for years without oiling anything. This thing was running slow and screeching in less than 10 hours. If you have to take the back of the motor off to oil it it's not meant to be oiled. I would like one with an oil port though.

Xyspade t1_itsrypa wrote

Oh I meant portable fans, and by regularly I mean every 1-2 years or so. Compared to vintage fans that have run 50+ years with no maintenance, that's pretty regularly lol. Even motors made last decade were better than the ones today, a lot of new ones don't even have oil added at the factory anymore (Comfort Zone is notorious for this). Lasko tends to be better but the quality control is still pretty inconsistent.