Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

editorreilly t1_itvxyjo wrote

I have a 78' boler. Keep your eye on the metal A-frame part where it goes underneath the fiberglass shell. These trailer are notorious for cracking there. It happened to me. It wasn't much fun to lift this up on a flatbed to be hauled away for repair while on vacation. Have it reinforced at a welding shop, if it isn't already. Hit me up if this doesn't make any sense.

Whole_Cress8437 OP t1_itvy6t9 wrote

The whole frame could use replacing in the next few years anyways. But yes if I worry about one thing it is the whole thing snapping! Thankfully I bought it off of a family friend who is an RV mechanic so it should be good.

editorreilly t1_itwt7c5 wrote

I know what you're saying but I'd still climb underneath and look to see if it's cracking

editorreilly t1_itwth1w wrote

A friend of mine checked hers after mine split in a trip, and hers had a hairline crack. Her reinforcement only cost $150. Mine was more because it had totally split.

Whole_Cress8437 OP t1_itwvuv0 wrote

Did yours crack while you were towing? What kind of damage happened apart from the frame?

editorreilly t1_itwy04q wrote

A hairline crack had started before, except we didn't' catch it. You could see where it had been cracked, and rusted out a little. After it split all the way through on both sides (not sure when it happened exactly, but when we pulled into the campground there was a lot of bouncing of trailer, and when I looked at it, it was cracked through on both sides) The only thing holding the trailer together was the fiberglass shell. I think it happened the last mile or so going down a bumpy road because that's when I started to notice an extra bounce. Luckily it happened then, or who knows what could have happened. No other damage. This isn't' something to overly worry about, but it's something that every boler owner should check on periodically. I still check the frame before I tow it. It takes 15 seconds.

editorreilly t1_itvz30u wrote

Also get a rivet tool if you don't already have one. If it's anything like mine, I had to replace all the rivet on the cabinet doors, molding...etc. I'd just bring it with you on trips along with a drill so you can fix it while on the road. Also take it easy down bumpy roads, this little guy will bounce all over the place making the inside of your trailer look like a bomb went off. If you pack anything heavy in the trailer, make sure to pack it as far forward as possible. Having the propane and batteries that far forward helps a ton so the trailer doesn't start swaying while at highway speeds. Have fun, we love ours, but we're selling it because my family of four is just too big for it now.

editorreilly t1_itvziq3 wrote

You also might want to consider a gravel shield for the front window. Mine came with it, but you might be able to buy one from Scamp. Going down rocky roads kicks up gravel and could bust your window.

KarmaticEvolution t1_itx1m9n wrote

What a gem Reddit is for amazingly applicable information from strangers on unique topics.

Whole_Cress8437 OP t1_itw3lfh wrote

Ya I’m bummed mine didn’t come with it. Doesn’t even look like there’s brackets to hang it on. Thankfully the windows are brand new so I should get some good use out of them.

editorreilly t1_itwt0d1 wrote

You could put them in yourself. Just learn to patch fiberglass, and hang the clips on rivets. The shield is really light, since it's made from fiberglass. Maybe 3-5 lbs.