Submitted by thattallblondechick t3_yhbwpy in BuyItForLife

I researched quite a bit last year and ended up buying a canvas coat from Kuhl. I loved the coat, utilitarian but still flattering, it was great quality, and was warrantied for a short time. But I snagged it at the end of the season, the snag turned into a large hole on the arm, and being in the middle of a divorce and my girls and I getting kicked out of our house (the landlord sold it), I missed the deadline for warranty. I cut /split firewood to sell during the winter and am outside a lot in varying Temps but down to -20 sometimes. I don't want to spend the money for two coats, one for work, one for nice occasions, cause I'll work close to every day, but would still like a coat that's somewhat flattering, not too frumpy. The coat from kuhl was close to $200, so I'll patch it and use it still probably, but I am looking for a replacement and not sure I trust their quality enough to spend that much there again. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

skonevt t1_iud92ts wrote

Don't know how you feel about used coats, but you can definitely get used wool for under 200. I got a 1960's Johnson Woolen Mill coat off Ebay years back. It's my go-to. Super warm yet breathable and it looks great. Very durable - I split wood, too, and get what you mean about doing real work in your coat. I think the biggest challenge would be aesthetic and whether or not you think it's frumpy.

thattallblondechick OP t1_iuez1gn wrote

Definitely okay with used, would prefer it actually, I've gotten lucky a few times and found some nice quality pieces for way less than new, cheaper quality would be. However, I'm in a pretty rural area so it's difficult to check the nearest Goodwill very often (an hour away) and haven't had any luck with buy sell trade sights.

I_SignedUpForThis t1_iuf0nuk wrote

For what it's worth, I've had success on geartrade. They have individuals selling used stuff but also a big retailer dumping returns and similar stuff.

Faeglantina t1_iufgurg wrote

I lucked out and got a couple like new ones from my grandmother. She bought them and didn’t wear them much. I don’t think you can get a new full length coat with that thickness of wool these days without blowing a whole lot of money.

SnowblindAlbino t1_iudgr8p wrote

Look for thrifted or used coats, then for LL Bean or just plain old Carhart or similar for a work coat. There's no reason to spend $$$ on something to literally wear while splitting wood and there are piles of "used" work coats in thrifts this time of year that have clearly never been worked in at all.

LiveLearnCoach t1_iuhpj3a wrote

Seriously. If you are looking for a brand name workhorse, maybe get a thrift shop or something off of eBay (though you’re at risk of getting counterfeits).

As a brand, I bought a Burberry overcoat close to a decade and a half ago, still looks brand new. Not sure if they maintained the same quality since then, honestly.

ATeaformeplease t1_iud26g4 wrote

Duluth trading is having a big sale right now- they coats are supposed to be good for work/cold but I don’t know about BIFLness.

Quail-a-lot t1_iudtylr wrote

Their women's stuff is not made as well or thick as the men's. Avoid!

F-21 t1_iudhau2 wrote

Man, wish they'd sell in Europe too...

pizza0pizza0pizza t1_iuda5dx wrote

We have had luck with Land's End

Bibliovoria t1_iudbyc9 wrote

Same here. I decided I was sick of being cold in winter, so checked the Land's End site and found a long down coat that was rated to forty degrees below zero. Zipped and buttoned and with the hood up and fully snapped, it has indeed kept me warm with a wind chill at that level and an actual temp of around 20 below (it's never hit 40 below here, thankfully); with varyingly less fastening, it's comfortable to around 35 above. I got it in 2006 and it still looks essentially new. Mind you, I've never done anything like chopping wood in it; for that I might investigate something work-durable like Carhartt.

[Edit: I think my partner has had his Carhartt winter jacket for over 20 years. It's battered and frayed, but he's done railway-museum volunteer work in it most of that time, everything from hauling/replacing railroad ties to fixing boilers to building signal systems.]

fishylegs46 t1_iudl0yx wrote

Me too, and they often have great sales. I bought an enormously large down coat from them in 2010 for cold school walks and it’s still a good choice for cold days. Eddie Bauer has good coats with a feminine cut. Black Friday is around the corner.

kdyggy t1_iueupfw wrote

Love Land’s End. Great quality still!!

Edenza t1_iuf6vvi wrote

Our family only gets Lands End coats, all warmth levels. You can often get great deals too.

MontytheBold t1_iudii1r wrote

Check thrift stores in a wealthier area of town. You should be able to find something of reasonable quality for an affordable price. Or even eBay.

spizzywinktom t1_iue1ffw wrote

My gf is petite and wears a boy's Carhartt jacket and layers with down and wool. Same canvas material but she bought it for much cheaper.

Quail-a-lot t1_iuer65y wrote

I will echo Land's End for warm winter jackets, but for a canvas work coat I would instead suggest Patagonia. They have a great canvas chore jacket and will do repairs if needed. I'd really suggest two coats so that you don't have to worry about getting your good workin coat dirty and then still feeling frumpy anyhow. Fix up the Kuhl and keep it as your chore jacket! Come visit us over at r/Visiblemending if you need ideas or suggestions.

Carhartt makes a women's chore jacket but the cut is weird and the arms are too tight for actually working in. Tough Duck is a bit better as well as cheaper. The Patagonia one is more expensive, but a better coat all around for doing things like splitting wood where you want some mobility but also don't want to pick splinters out of the fabric for eternity. (Bane of my existence I swear as a fellow woodstove user)

blacktreefalls t1_iue4d6w wrote

I love Kuhl, they’re expensive but I have hiking pants that have been abused by back country fieldwork for many years and they’re still sturdy! As far as quality jackets, I’ve had really good luck with Marmot. Warm, semi flattering (with good winter wear there’s diminishing returns after a certain point), and reasonably priced for the quality. The coat I had was 650 down fill, fleece lined, thigh length with a hood. I didn’t bring it out until under 10 degrees, but when layered it would keep me warm at -40. I also have a 0 rated sleeping bag from them that is super sturdy.

Also add that I patch all my puffy insulated or down coats with REI’s cloth tape- it’s magic. If you have a black coat, even better, it blends right in and never moves or comes apart. I’ve even patched a tent and a camping chair with it, we just keep several rolls around now.

Delta9AZ t1_iuf1bp8 wrote

I'm not a woman but carhart makes some great affordable and very durable coats for both men and women.

Sweetsnteets t1_iudw1tk wrote

I bought a leather mackage jacket in grade 12 that is still perfect almost 20 years later.

pink_thieff t1_iuekx8r wrote

Aritzia. I have a woo & cashmere blend coat from them. I absolutely love it. Quality materials, warm and soft. They have a good selection of coats that are made from materials like wool, cashmere that will last for a long time and take care of you.

strangefaerie t1_iuet151 wrote

I thrift mine usually. I’ve had luck with Land’s End, Northface (old ones), Red Head, and wool in general!

Sold-reuse-b4 t1_iufh3tr wrote

Stitch or patch the coat you have and use for work. Buy a new dress coat.

EasySmeasy t1_iudy443 wrote

Maybe look at Belstaff. I know their motorcycle jackets are highly recommended, their other stuff seems like its as high quality.

GimmeAGoodTaco t1_iugl6i8 wrote

I’d recommend Eddie Bauer! Comes weather rated and lots of styles

LEGO_Joel t1_iuhfba1 wrote

Does the quality of the coat matter as long as the Woman is high quality?

Silly joke comment so I can come back and read the helpful responses :)

RLSchatze t1_iuimeuk wrote

I have purchased really nice barely worn brand name coats on eBay for myself and my kids. I would find a brand you like and check eBay to see if you could find it used.

AutoModerator t1_iucwg1j wrote

Hello /u/thattallblondechick! Thank you for your submission! The AutoMod thought that your post might be a request type post and has changed the flair accordingly, but if this was wrong feel free to change it back!

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.