Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Quail-a-lot t1_iv707xh wrote

Dale of Norway is known for their colourwork, but they do make solid colours as well! That will be a much better sweater than any of the things suggested so far. A traditional Lopapeysa (Icelandic sweater) or a Gansey will also keep you warm and protected from the elements for decades. These are all really nice looking as well.

SteeleAway t1_iv7e7fk wrote

I have some nordic sweaters that are 50+ years old. Still wearable and still in good shape.

googmornin t1_iv6lqcr wrote

Patagonia better sweater

pkluree t1_iv6y89g wrote

I like patagonia, but the better sweater was a let down. Made from polyester and pilled like crazy. I was luckily able to resell mine.

SarahAB227 OP t1_iv6m7zo wrote

I'll edit it when I'm home. I should have been more specific. A women's pull over sweater. Preferably crew neck.

i_love_anachronisms t1_iv6qg0v wrote

Patagonia is still an excellent choice. Its definitely on the boujee/pricey side, but their stuff is very high quality. Even better than some luxury brands that cost more. They also have really good lifetime warranties on their merch.

Both LL bean & Duluth are good, if somewhat basic, choices too. Avoid North Face & Columbia. Imo they've both gone way downhill in recent years.

googmornin t1_iv6mjd0 wrote

They do have some wool and cashmere sweaters but I have never owned one. I find most of their items to be BIFL, though

2ndfloorbalcony t1_iv6o2w7 wrote

I’ve heard that early Brunelleschi Cuccinelli cashmere (pre 2000’s) is exceptional. If you can get your hands on it secondhand, it has a long life. Similarly, vintage cashmere that’s made in Scotland is fantastic.

hazelstone137 t1_iv6o7cq wrote

Pendleton. Their women's plaid wool hoodies are so cozy. Lots of cardigan options too.

cameramachines t1_iv7so71 wrote

honestly I've had good luck with men's sweaters at TJ Maxx. I got one from this company many years ago. It is similar to this one https://www.weatherproofvintage.com/collections/men/products/fisherman-shawl-sweater-in-dark-moss and 100% cotton. They have some women's ones as well, but it says they are acrylic which I hate the feel of. My other one is a H&M mens sweater I picked up second hand. Also 100% cotton. I find that most comfortable.

Basically the average men's clothing is so much more durable than the average women's option, if you can wear a men's small I'd start there.

Also I never wash my sweaters with something that has metal zippers to avoid snags. And I dry them on low heat. or actually lay them on a drying rack to dry.

bbysir t1_ix0l3o0 wrote

Knitter/handspinner here- try to get 100% natural fibers or as close to that as possible. Wool is best for holding its shape over time, fibers like alpaca don’t have memory and will stretch out over time, especially when not combined with wool or a plant fiber like cotton. I thrift sweaters all of the time and just look for 100% natural fibers and few to no moth holes (I don’t mind mending them if there are holes, though!).

The most important thing IMO is how you care for the sweater. Hand washing at the end of every season with wool wash (look up blocking/washing a wool sweater) and then storing it in a sealed plastic bag or container should keep it like new for a long time. Moths are attracted to dirty/sweaty sweaters, so always put away clean. Also, never store sweaters on hangers- always fold or roll them and seal to avoid stretching/stress on the stitches and moths.

Also- sweaters with seams are usually best for BIFL. They hold up longer than seamless sweaters and are more likely to retain their shape over time.

Own-Safe-4683 t1_iv7grdn wrote

My sister buys some $600 sweaters. She just replaced the ones she bought 20 years ago. They are nothing like you can get at LL Bean.

SarahAB227 OP t1_iv7gyt8 wrote

From where? I don't have those kinds of funds. But our or curiosity.

Own-Safe-4683 t1_iv7hhjh wrote

I'll have to ask. She has no kids. That's how she has those funds. But they also lasted 20 years so they paid for themselves. She's also the same size she was 20 years ago. I can't say the same. I think they are Italian and I know she got them online. First time she purchased them she was traveling.

SarahAB227 OP t1_iv7j2ft wrote

I'm 33 and have a toddler. So I've changed sized in the past few years 🤣🤣🤣

IMHOcomments t1_iw53in1 wrote

No clue if these are the brand they mentioned but I bought a Co. brand cashmere sweater on the Real Real last year for about $225 (at least $600 new) and it’s so much nicer than anything I’ve ever owned. It’s cashmere so it does fuzz a bit but easy to gently manage that. I’ll keep looking for that and other brands people mention here on resale.

LazyEmergency t1_iv8slcv wrote

Maybe not quite a sweater, but the Duckworth Powder High Neck is super warm and durable.