Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

hazelstone137 t1_ivo8fyd wrote

Makes sense. All mine have held up really well. I guess I got lucky.

F-21 t1_ivogpti wrote

In the end, that's all that matters :)

Sorry if I ranted a bit too much.

hazelstone137 t1_ivp4s5q wrote

No worries.. I enjoy the conversation. It definitely sucks when quality goes downhill and I appreciate you mentioning the Solovair boots, I didn't realize they were associated with DMs. I'll have to get some to do a comparison. It's akin to the Sanita and Dansko relationship in the clog world.

F-21 t1_ivpckbl wrote

Yeah DM was huge back in the day, but the town they made them in (Northamptonshire) was historically the centre of shoemaking in the British Empire, lots of manufacturers were there... Solovair was one of them, and they made lots of boots for DM but also their own stuff.

Alternatively, something like Redwing Iron Rangers is way higher quality. Or in the US style but more affordable, the Thursday boots are pretty decent too.

And lately I really love Jim Green. Amazing quality for the cost, and they seem to be a very transparent company with some good goals. They even show the whole production process. On those boots everything is both glued and stitched... These are actual work boots in SA, not the heritage or classic fashion boots they sell in the US or Europe nowadays.