Submitted by tragalie2000 t3_ypbwe1 in BuyItForLife

Does anyone have suggestions on brands that can handle Montreal winters?

Where I live it gets in the 30s and 40s when it’s really cold and I usually just layer up a lot. However I’d like to invest in a quality winter jacket for when I go somewhere colder.

I’ve been looking at Helly Hansen, Lolë, and REI.

Would anyone recommend these as far as quality? Or does anyone have suggestions for women’s winter jackets?

Thanks!

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Rundiggity t1_ivjbp60 wrote

The Patagonia warranty keeps me coming back.

app1etree t1_ivj8bko wrote

I’ve heard good things about Lands End Squall line from a friend. I have 2 coats from Eddie Bauer that are super warm and they use ethically sourced down. Can’t speak to the bifl part since have only had them a few years.

thollywoo t1_ivy78i4 wrote

Seconding Lands End as someone who lives through and commutes by public transit and walking during Chicago winters. Also, LL Bean makes a very good insulated jacket but their zippers can be finicky.

certainkindoffool t1_ivji4d2 wrote

Lots of brands will work. My preference these days is a breathable softshell and a seperate hardshell that I can wear when necessary.

Check out thelasthunt.C0m. It is the clearance site for altitude sports. They have lots of excellent outerwear at significant discounts. No returns though, so do your research.

Lifaloft and primaloft gold are my preferred synthetic insulation materials.

Fantastic-Alps4335 t1_ivkkzzh wrote

I agree with the hard shell and soft shell technique. More versatility. Calm and cold out, just the soft shell. Rainy, windy, or worse both layers.

3 in 1 is the same and designed together.

certainkindoffool t1_ivm512o wrote

I prefer to purchase my jackets separately. I find most 3in1s to be a compromise in performance or style that I'm not willing to make.

Slinkinator t1_ivmhn51 wrote

I'm shocked no one has recommended Carhartt.

I wanted to get this for my big sis, but she's an event manager for JP Morgan, and it's not chic enough for her.

Best jacket you can buy though IMO as an ex-HVAC tech with ~4 yrs experience

https://www.carhartt.com/gb/en-gb/products/Full-Swing-Loose-Fit-Washed-Duck-Sherpa-Lined-Jacket-102248-18

KannyDay88 t1_ivjdfy8 wrote

Wellensteyn - German company based in Hamburg that originally made technical gear for north sea sailors.

They now make fashion coats for all season but their winter coats are the business. Both my wife and I have owned a thick alpine winter jacket for years now and never looked back!

Not sure if / where you can source them in Canada, but definitely worth checking out.

5spd4wd t1_ivkftmm wrote

Definitely one that covers your hips. Know that at some point you may have to have it dry-cleaned so probably not one filled with real down (feathers).

Puffer jackets are popular but I think they make people look like The Michelin Man.

Quail-a-lot t1_ivij661 wrote

Lands End Stadium Squall. You will see this one mentioned a lot in other threads if you search. Lots of us love them! Good hood, fantastic length, and pockets.

Substantial_Plant930 t1_ivjwp8u wrote

Definitely a gamble since you can't try it on in store but I got an askov finlayson jacket last year and it's incredible! I get cold easily and this is a great winter coat for me. It's from a small business in Minnesota

_nickles t1_ivm1jvn wrote

Eddie Bauer is good gear! If you can get it in Montreal - warranted and temp rated. Quality stuff!

Otherwise, look for a temp rating, down is key for cold Montreal winters!

EastRaccoon5952 t1_ivp0323 wrote

I have an Eddie Bauer jacket that I love. Its not showing any signs of wear after about three years. It's a pretty light shell, I'll wear it to about 30F, so in northern Maine thats not exactly year round. I would say probably not quite as good quality as some of the more premium brands, but you'll definitely get your moneys worth and many years of wear.

tragalie2000 OP t1_ivmwayi wrote

Thanks for the recommendations! I think I narrowed it down to a couple parkas. There's a Patagonia store near me so that will help with the fit. I like both styles.

Patagonia:

https://www.patagonia.com/product/womens-downdrift-parka/20605.html?dwvar_20605_color=NESB
LL Bean:

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/118914?page=maine-mountain-parka&bc=516567-610&feat=610-GN1&csp=f&pos=35

EastRaccoon5952 t1_ivp0njo wrote

LL Bean is a littly over rated in my opinion. They are definitely good quality stuff, but a little overpriced for what they are. A lot of the stuff I have hasn't lasted super well. Despite being in northern Maine where bean boots and an LLbean flannel is practically the uniform they aren't my go to. I don't own any Patagonia, but my gut feeling is thats the better choice.