Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

quietflyr t1_iwgu4un wrote

Glasslocks have worked very well for me over the last ~15 years. I've thrown out maybe three of 20 in that time, two because the lids broke, and one because the glass broke when dropped (surprise!).

We use them all the time, fridge, freezer, microwave, whatever, and the whole thing goes in the dishwasher. Very happy with them.

alrankin t1_iwguk4o wrote

Seconded, tough, easy to clean and very secure lids.

gregarious119 t1_iwim3hk wrote

I think you can order replacement lids for free, though I haven't tried it. I love my glasslocks though.

quietflyr t1_iwitn8m wrote

Oooh...I didn't know that...I still have one of the glass containers with no lid...maybe I'll try to get a new lid!

shmolky t1_iwiz92h wrote

Only two at a time, but still very nice.

andriodgerms OP t1_iwj2hqr wrote

Okay this comment single handedly sold me.

This request has been answered!

Thank you everyone!

awildencounter t1_iwhevb4 wrote

I've had one glass lock break (large crack) after doing direct transfer from fridge to microwave, but they otherwise hold up very well.

genthiesen t1_iwh476n wrote

I use canning jars! You just need to leave an inch of headspace (some even have a fill-to line). If you are a person that saves jars or cans, this is a good way to get more use out of them.

andriodgerms OP t1_iwhuptw wrote

I had been doing this! It just doesn't make space in my freezer like I'd like.

Fresa22 t1_iwiyftu wrote

I love this option. I got the wide-mouth mason jar attachment for my FoodSaver and I vacuum seal the jars to extend storage time.

NewspaperElegant t1_iwi9py4 wrote

Dang! I didn’t know this, I thought if you froze canning jars they cracked no matter what

genthiesen t1_iwikez3 wrote

I’ve not had it happen yet - my keys are to leave headspace and let it cool properly before adding a lid and putting in the freezer.

insertcleverthought t1_iwimrfw wrote

I've had a few crack on me. The key is to not fill above the shoulder of the jar and leave the lid off until it's frozen, then cover it. And stick to the 16 Oz or smaller. The 32 Oz have a much higher failure rate. In terms of bang for the buck, nothing beats the canning jars for food storage.

kbotc t1_iwirb8c wrote

They're not very space efficient is my problem with them: They don't stack well in a freezer, they leave tons of space around them (as they are circles), but they are cheap and I had a bunch.

insertcleverthought t1_iwirmvg wrote

Yeah, i could see the space efficiency being a challenge. I think it depends on the layout of your freezer. I have a drawer in my freezer that they fit perfectly in. It's like they made the drawer specifically for these jars.

carnelian_heart t1_iwkwdwm wrote

Once frozen, you could put them on their sides and then use shelf inserts to add another stack. Kind of like wine bottles stored on their sides.

andriodgerms OP t1_iwgso25 wrote

I guess I prefer glass, but not opposed to anything else.

For food prep and storage in the freezer/fridge so the ability to stack is important. I won't put them in the microwave as I don't have one lol.

mordenty t1_iwgujl9 wrote

IKEA make some great ones, you can get ones with bamboo lids - the only plastic part is the seal. They stack well and they're pretty cheap.

Wemi451 t1_iwgu0pn wrote

I bought a set of glass "Tupperware" with snap on lids from Sam's Club (Member's Mark) that have served me well for 6 years and counting. They store well in the fridge, can reheat in the microwave, dishwasher safe, and thick enough to withstand an accidental drop. $20

Tack122 t1_iwhzcbz wrote

Hard to believe nobody has suggested Rubbermaid Brilliance, they're pretty great food containers. You have the option of plastic (high quality plastic btw), or glass. Very good reviews and win with America's Test Kitchen for a good number of marks. https://youtu.be/WprgFWLgguM?t=279

I've got a few of the $20ish dollar box which has 5 in it. Love em.

hardknox_ t1_iwigdds wrote

I've found they take on water very easily if you keep them in a cooler with ice/water. I returned mine. Also seems like that type of plastic would crack very easily.

I use the plastic Snapware from Costco, but they have some glass ones too.

YoursTastesBetter t1_iwicefo wrote

I just recently started using these and really like them. My chopped veggies last much longer in them than the cheap plastic storage bowls I've used in the past.

andriodgerms OP t1_iwgv24e wrote

Okay thank you guys for contributing! I will look into everybody's suggestions! I really appreciate it

golfs247 t1_iwh7ng4 wrote

In addition to using Glasslocks, I bought a Foodsaver from Costco 5+ years ago and it’s still running like a champ. I buy rolls of bag material from Amazon (or from Costco when they’re on sale) and food will last a good 2+ years in the freezer if sealed properly. Works great for freezing any kind of meat, portions of soups, veggies, etc.

tammigirl6767 t1_iwhg28w wrote

Just don’t make the mistake I made and buy a Cuisinart brand. Mine still works, but the seals need to be replaced and you can’t buy the Cuisinart seals anywhere.

SecretSylph t1_iwho50w wrote

I’ve been using Stasher bags for freezing a lot of chopped veggies. I’ve only had mine for a little over a year but they’ve been holding up surprisingly well, only had one get a hole so far but that was due to my roommate poking it with a very sharp knife. That one is still usable though, just not for anything that leaks or needs a good seal. Not sure if it’s necessarily BIFL but I don’t see myself needing to get replacements for a good while. Plus I discovered that you can write on them with chalk markers for labeling!

andriodgerms OP t1_iwhvkze wrote

Hadn't thought about silicone bags. I have two Stasher bags and they are small, but really well made

demonicfeces t1_iwi3woo wrote

I've been using larger ones for this and they work great.

The large surface area of the bag means quicker thawing too.

desubot1 t1_iwiaz0k wrote

for soups and liquid i find freezing them in silicon ice cube trays and bagging them to be way more convenient then trying to keep them in their own tupperwear.

if you can figure out the portions you take x number of cubes per meal.

kbotc t1_iwirhgh wrote

They've been making "slasher bowls" which are the bags with flat bottoms so they're really good for storage. The biggest problem is the material picks up odors like nobody's business or that's all I'd use.

andriodgerms OP t1_iwiva2p wrote

Good point. Silicone does cling to odors. I just checked out their website and saw this product! Feeling like I might be going with the glasslock for my purposes. Who knows what I'll put in there 😂

SecretSylph t1_iwnk8ed wrote

Tragically I found this happening too, especially in the one I use to freeze caramelized onions. It’s not a complete fix, but I’ve found that adding a tablespoon or two of baking soda, some hot water, sealing and shaking it up can help. Letting it sit for a few hours can also help if it’s a more persistent smell. Their site also has a few other tips for getting rid of smells!

gt0163c t1_iwhooj4 wrote

I like the Rubbermaid Easy Find Lid containers. The big box stores usually have very good deals on multi-piece sets this time of year. If you want the really good ones, go with the "Premium" ones with the "flex & seal" lids.

One thing I really like about these is that the containers and lids are fairly standardized. There are 3 or 4 sizes of lids. The containers each lid size fits vary by depth. So you get a wide variety of sizes with very few different types of lids. Everything stacks well together. The lids click together and containers nest for easy container storage. The bottom of the containers click into the tops of the lids for storage when the containers are full.

I've had a couple of sets for at least 6-8 years. The only time I've had issues is when I've dropped full containers straight out of the freezer. Sometimes the containers crack (which I'd expect to happen more than it does). I've lost maybe one lid and three containers that way.

andriodgerms OP t1_iwhvg75 wrote

Do you use the plastic or glass versions?

gt0163c t1_iwhzgfl wrote

I use the plastic. I have some glass Pyrex containers that I like. But they get heavy, particularly when full of anything liquid.

SGBotsford t1_iwiigwz wrote

I cheat: Yogurt (750 ml) and cottage cheese (500 ml) I' don't attempt to re-use them more than once or twice.

Bread bags.

Ziplock bags for meat. Don't figure I can sterilize these, so they are used once and discard.

andriodgerms OP t1_iwivi38 wrote

Just curious, why don't you reuse the yogurt or cottage cheese containers?

SGBotsford t1_iwk1oz3 wrote

A: Lots of them go to work. Frozen chili. Use once and chuck.

B: If I reheat in microwave, the lids tend to warp, plus any grease locally overheats and scars the plastic. And any curry or tomato stains the plastic.

C: Cottage cheese is forever. We can store only so many of the critters.

Stopthatcat t1_iwi8t33 wrote

I have a few Pyrex sets. They go in the fridge, freezer, microwave and oven no problem.

jankyj t1_iwi9ldx wrote

I’m happy with my Ikea 365+ storage containers. Lids and boxes available separately, so if you break one, you can buy just what you need. Lots of flexibility in the system, and affordable.

hopfield t1_iwig5zu wrote

Just use Pyrex

anxiousbarista t1_iwj300l wrote

Ello containers @ Target

I've been using these containers for meal prep for about 3 years now. They have held up great. Dishwasher and freezer safe and sans the lid, they're microwave and oven safe also.

the_simurgh t1_iwhuuxd wrote

rubbermaid used to have a series of blue containers called freezer bloks they discontinued because they said the standard models would work just as well. i've had mine for 5 years and they still look and work like new.

Choklitcheezcake t1_iwipd0s wrote

If you have a Costco near you, keep an eye out for Ello brand reusable bags. They’re essentially thicker plastic, reusable ziploc bags — I like them for snacks, random leftover ingredients that don’t quite take up a regular glass or plastic jar, and most importantly freezing ground beef or pork because I can flatten them in the bags before freezing. Makes it sooo much faster to defrost when I need it later.

I will say they’re a PAIN to wash, and although it says they’re dishwasher friendly, I haven’t quite figured out how to place them in there so they can get properly clean.

Chrome-Molly t1_iwiqkct wrote

crazy, but the ones that came with my amana fridge that get stored on the door for leftovers are still holding up. bought the fridge in 1998! they don't see the freezer though, but 30 years for some plastic containers seems pretty good. I do have tupperware older than that. Like the gold, orange and brown color ones. I have used them in freezer, too.

andriodgerms OP t1_iwivr5g wrote

Wow do they not smell?? We had some, but they gave off an odor, like an old crayon and had to get tossed

y-a-me-a t1_iwj0s1i wrote

Ball ad Kerr canning jars are for freezing too.

regolith1111 t1_iwj15se wrote

Just throwing this out there, you can get tons of life out of a vacuum sealing bag if you seal and cut it frugally. Wash it out if needed but if you make it a bit long than you can cut off maybe 1/2" each time and reseal it. Not BIFL but how often do you cycle through freezer items. A case of rolls would last a long time.

andriodgerms OP t1_iwj2cxz wrote

I make my dog's food. I probably will thaw out something once a week. I have been using Ziploc bags and glass jars, just wanted something that fits the space better.

The Ziploc bags are awesome for soups and other things like herbs. It's more for storage of my dog's food and leftovers for me ☺️ I honestly have had the same few Ziploc bags reused for a few years now! I just put them in a bowl in the freezer so if they spill out it won't be that big of a deal.

regolith1111 t1_iwj2kz3 wrote

Ah, that's neat. Probably not the best scenario for freezer bags then. I do know there's silicon bags that are reusable and I think some have flat bottoms built in.

faith5 t1_iwjrlzk wrote

Ukonserve with silicone lid? The containers are stainless steel & very good at holding a lot without taking up too much space. They can go in the freezer and in the oven up to 300F. Not the microwave, of course. They can be pricy, but are usually reasonable enough if you watch for sales. Lids can be bought separately if they need replacing.

andriodgerms OP t1_iwjtgyf wrote

Oooo Thank you for the suggestion! I didn't know this existed.

TheNaziSpacePope t1_iwjzdqk wrote

While more of a DIY than BFL option, you should consider those square yogurt containers. They are food safe, seal well, and stack.

andriodgerms OP t1_iwjzyb3 wrote

Link? Idk if I know what you are talking about. So many suggestions on this post! thankful for all of them though!

TheNaziSpacePope t1_iwk0p41 wrote

I do not have one, I just eat a lot of yogurt which comes in square containers. Loads of other similar things come in the same kind of tub so I figured you would know what I meant.

andriodgerms OP t1_iwk1puo wrote

Sorry I totally do know what you mean, but I had to read this message to realize it. You're on to something, but I run into the same circle issue... I'm using mason jars rn.

Any way, good point about reusing them. Yogurt is my zero waste vice. I really want to just make my own, but Fage greek 0 is perfect.

MonalisaMakeupMomma t1_iwod9tw wrote

I'm a big fan of silipints storage containers, accident prone friendly.

[deleted] t1_iwi2g9t wrote

[deleted]

−3

andriodgerms OP t1_iwien50 wrote

I don't use Amazon and I check out that podcast 👍

devonitely t1_iwieqzz wrote

Cool. Good luck to you. We use mason jars and Pyrex ourselves.