Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Wavestormed OP t1_ixv37mu wrote

what's the difference? didn't even know there were different types!

OldBoatsBoysClub t1_ixv83i0 wrote

Modern domestic units use a 'tilt head' system, they still use lift head on commercial units.

Lift head: what you have, you lock the bowl in and pull a lever to lift it up to the mixer.

Tilt head: the mixer motor and head tilt backwards, allowing the bowl to be placed directly under it.

Tilt heads have some great advantages for the typical home user (lower centre of gravity requiring less ballast = lower overall weight, shorter height to fit under cabinets, and less chance of catching fingers. But one big disadvantage - the whole force of the beater is held by that tilt hinge. So especially if you make a lot of bread or other tough mixes you can put a lot of wear on the hinge. For the majority of home bakers a tilt head is plenty good enough and probably worth the trade off, but if you make brioche twice a week then just be aware you may need to replace the hinges earlier than maybe you would need to otherwise.

It doesn't affect things like the meat grinder or other PTO attachments, because the engine isn't fighting the bowl.

Wavestormed OP t1_ixvc7w0 wrote

thank you for this, this is very insightful, exactly what i needed. more than likely won't be making brioche twice a week, but i enjoy knowing the pros and cons!! thanks!

OldBoatsBoysClub t1_ixvdv31 wrote

No worries! You have a lift head anyway, so you're only missing out on the lighter weight and more compact form - you can make brioche as much as you like without worrying 😆

F-21 t1_ixwcw7d wrote

I'm no expert on kitchen appliances, and I expect they cheap out on everything as much as possible - but such a hinge could easily be made strong enough to outlast the motor or a gearbox. It's probably just made poorly.

I think linear sliding ways are harder to "control" how long they work - for hinges, there's a lot of standards to design them exactly as you want them to be.... Most applications for linear ways are more long lasting/permanent in general

OldBoatsBoysClub t1_ixwe3qm wrote

Full disclosure - I have a tilt head and make three loaves of bread a week (and the occasional cake, but bread dough is where the wear and tear is) . I think it's completely adequate for the home baker.

It's not a direct comparison though - the motion of the mixer means it places lateral tension and 'wiggle' on the hinge, but it barely exerts any force downward. So objectively, a lift type is going to offer fewer opportunities for wear and fatigue. But it's a repairable part, and even if I have to replace a hinge twice in my lifetime (pessimistic) that's worth the saved effort of a taller, heavier, mixer.

If you run a professional bakery though obviously all that goes out the window.