Submitted by courtFTW t3_z8wvp6 in BuyItForLife

I am sick and tired of buying a $15 Target wallet every 1-2 years for it to fall apart...forcing me to buy another.

I'm looking for a longer women's wallet...even better if it's zippered. I am not interested in the traditional bifold that most men carry.

I do not care about price, I want a quality wallet that will last me a long time.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

IndianaFartJockey t1_iydrazy wrote

I know a few women who have gotten some longevity out of their coach wallets.

Accomplished_Scar717 t1_iyel179 wrote

My Coach wallet is over 20 years old. Looks perfectly fine. I expect it is BIFL. The thing is, though, I went to their website and comparable leather wallets appear to be no longer available. Cheaper plastic ones have replaced them. I would look for a vintage one if I were in your position.

IndianaFartJockey t1_iyeoyus wrote

I didn't realize that. That's disappointing. There's a store near me that had leather last spring. Bought one for my mother's birthday. Might be some brick and mortar with them in stock as well? My info is sort of old though.

BTea0226 t1_iyeyjoq wrote

Kate spade as well! I had this leather wallet for over 3 years and it still looked as good as new! Only had to recently replace it when it was stolen

0reoperson t1_iyeogny wrote

Yes yes yes! Coach is my favorite luxury brand but it’s also my favorite wallet brand. I have a mini collection of their keychain, wristlet, and clutch wallets and not ONE has broken on me or even gotten too scratched up that I’ve had to replace it. I’ve been using one keychain wallet in particular for the past 3 years and she’s still going strong. Buying through Coach Outlet is the way to go, they always have sales and you’ll get their quality at super cheap prices!

ripi444 t1_iyepejr wrote

I’ve had my coach outlet wallet for 5+ years of daily use and it looks great!

[deleted] t1_iyfc90c wrote

I was about to say Coach. From the outlet store.

Hutwe t1_iyeq5su wrote

I bought one for my sister years ago at the Coach store in the outlets, and this time of the year they usually have a 40%-50% sale going on. She still issues it daily and loves it. I’m stoked she’s gotten such longevity out of it.

tidderorsomething t1_iyezcqp wrote

I second that. I was gifted one… more than 15 years ago and it’s still in perfect condition. Wouldn’t say like new but there’s no real sign of wear and tear on it and I’ve used it continually since then. Edit: just to add, mine’s fabric with a zipper. Zipper’s top shape still.

Longjumping-Emu7696 t1_iydvj1e wrote

I have a Fossil wallet that I bought used 6+ years ago and it is still going strong, no sign of wear. If I were to get another one, though, I would get it in leather instead of the quilted exterior I have to make it easier to clean. The one I have is a lot like their Liza Zip Around clutch - I like that it zips all the way up and folds all the way open.

Plant-Freak t1_iyfcbz6 wrote

I have also had a leather fossil wallet for over 5 years. It is doing great! I also have a leather fossil bag I found in a thrift store about 15 years ago, I suspect it was about 10 years old when I bought it, I use it frequently and treat the leather every couple of years, it’s still gorgeous!

Endor-Fins t1_iydul13 wrote

Fossil is excellent for wallets and purses

EcstaticIncrease3791 t1_iye06ak wrote

Third for fossil! I’ve had my fossil for at least 6 years now and it’s really held up, no real damage besides normal wear, and even then it’s in really good condition. Plus I found mine at I think TJ Maxx to even better on the budget!

gingerlimethyme t1_iyem76g wrote

I got a fossil zipper wallet at tj maxx about 6 years back as well and it looks and functions just like it did when I bought it! It’s been tossed around in various bags with lots of other stuff, keys, etc. never let me down yet. Daily use.

chapstickaddict t1_iyelzrn wrote

I have a Fossil wallet that’s held up great for 5+ years. They seem to have switched to “eco leather” for a lot of their products now and I am not confident that the faux leather will hold up as well.

Hobo is more expensive but their products are still leather. I’ve had a card sleeve from Hobo for 15 years and it still works fine (though the colors are noticeably worn).

Endor-Fins t1_iyembck wrote

Ah yes I should have clarified! Their leather lasts a long time but I wouldn’t touch the faux stuff with a ten foot stick. I have zero luck with vinyl lasting

_savinG_Grace_ t1_iydpzev wrote

I bought a Hobo brand leather wallet back in 2015 that’s still in great condition. I have no plans to replace it any time soon.

autorotater t1_iydvs33 wrote

Another vote for Hobo. Bought my wife a Hobo wallet as a Christmas gift about 15 years ago, still looks great after all those years of swimming around in her purse.

insertcleverthought t1_iyev3mx wrote

I was just coming to say hobo. I have a Rachel that's over 15 years old and I love it. I can't recommend their bags though... thought the quality would translate and sadly it does not.

wampuswambat t1_iyf2bu0 wrote

Definitely Hobo! Sometimes you can find on sale at a Nordstrom rack too (if you have one near you).

sonyneha t1_iyefvo7 wrote

bellroy

deejayfrontbutt t1_iyfe26w wrote

Seconding Bellroy. My wallet from them is 8 years old and still looks brand new.

leatherboundink t1_iydrtne wrote

If you have Instagram, I'd suggest taking a look on there to find an independent maker you like. There are quite a few of us these days. Otherwise, there are also makers-related subs here on Reddit.

mygirlwednesday7 t1_iyf7e4l wrote

I recently bought a small purse at the suggestion of my doctor from my doctor from an independent maker and I am in love. The quality is amazing. If the maker knows his craft and knows how to translate that into good photographs, it’s absolute gold. I prefer to support small businesses, especially artists and makers. I think that’s really important in this economy.

BooksandPandas t1_iye59bb wrote

Check out wallets from Portland Leather Goods. They have a 30% off sale going on right now. After that, their sale reverts to 20%/25% off (it’s always ongoing). They use full grain leather. I have some purses and they take a beating very well.

Nefertari_ t1_iyeyg7y wrote

I was going to also recommend Portland Leather Goods. I have pretty much exclusively used their bags and one of their wallets for the last 2 years, and they still look great.

whyiseverythingbad t1_iyf30nu wrote

Thirded! They come in great colors too. I've bought their Almost Perfect line a few times, and haven't noticed any issues or imperfections.

vNerdNeck t1_iyebilo wrote

My wife likes Kate Spade, and her stuff has always been good. Bought her a KS wallet almost 15 years ago and it still going strong.

If you want something a little less fasion and little bit better build quality, check out saddleback leather / love 41 (husband designs saddle back leather, wife designs love 41).

https://saddlebackleather.com/continental-leather-wallet

https://saddlebackleather.com/womens-leather-wallets/

​

They won't win any design award, but having spent more than I care to admit to on SB and L41 products over the years I can tell you they are all absolutely fucking bullet proof.

Swampfox7155 t1_iye0ck3 wrote

Coach leather wallets are really nice. If you aren’t picky about the colors, check out the sale section.

Louis Vuitton makes a very, very nice leather zippy wallet. It’s pricey, of course, but you will probably be able to bequeath it to someone several decades from now.

one_introverts_world t1_iyeg5ca wrote

I don’t know if LV quality went down but so far haven’t had a good experience neither with their wallet nor with their key holder. Threads are everywhere and the button on a key holder has peeled off and looks garbage.

Coach wallets are way cheaper but have top-notch quality, imo.

thevainglory t1_iyepxro wrote

The lv zippy are very nice and you can find the leather ones second hand for a reasonable price. I have one in black epi made in 2009 or something and it looks great and hasn't changed since I bought it in 2017. I have an old key holder from 1998 that is in awesome condition too and all I do is clean and condition them once a year. Idk about the new ones but the 2012 and older leather is probably bifl. Japanese eBay is a good source for these.

ManLindsay t1_iyexqmn wrote

This is what I recommended as well. Brands like that make awesome quality leather goods. My Gucci card holder has held up better than anything I’ve tried before, and it gets a lot of use

Sook1970 t1_iye6ajh wrote

I have a Dooney & Bourke wallet that I bought from their outlet a couple of years ago at a discount and it looks like I bought it yesterday. I expect to have it for a long time.

couldbeyouornot t1_iye0uyw wrote

husband has a fossil wallet he got 20 years ago from an outlet store

I have a marc jacobs one that is pebbled leather (it matches a bag I have) and it's in great condition. I will always go real leather on a wallet. I bought mine off of poshmark.

if you go zippered, that's a place that will probably eventually need restitching or repair, just a fair warning (however I had a cheap one of those for many years that lived in my purse and I LOVED IT--I only got rid of it when the zipper started getting sticky and my phone got too big to zip inside it).

Captain-Marvel92 t1_iye7ysn wrote

I’ve been using the Fjallraven Kanken Travel Wallet and enjoying that. It fits my phone and an extra mask too.

monkeysatemybarf t1_iyeuput wrote

I was gifted a Prada wallet over 10 years ago that’s going strong, looks good and has not needed any repairs

datSubguy t1_iyf225o wrote

Cuyana

The classic zip-around is what you’ll most likely want out of their product line.

svensendoublebass t1_iye8jp7 wrote

Dooney and Burke makes some beautiful women’s wallets. My wife loves hers.

5spd4wd t1_iye0c9p wrote

There are probably a thousand leather wallet brands out there that would hold up. I've had mine for at least 15 years. It's the kind that holds a checkbook, if you want. I think it's by Giani Bernini.

In my opinion there is no finer leather than Italian leather. Italy has been renown for many many decades for its leather goods.

nakedreader_ga t1_iye98nw wrote

I have a Kavu wallet that I bought years ago. I bought it at an airport (not sure which one), so it was probably more expensive than it needed to be. I've probably had it 8-10 years.

Myathebestpup t1_iyee38t wrote

I got my girlfriend a Louis Vuitton wallet for Christmas in 2018. Still like new to this day!

KTLRMD84 t1_iyerziz wrote

I have a strathberry wallet that is beautiful and has held up for 2+ years so far. So really it depends on your style!

ManLindsay t1_iyexgx6 wrote

Something from a luxury leather brand will last a long time. I’ve carried a Gucci card holder in my pocket everyday for 3 years and it still has the same elasticity when you take a card out as it did new. Still looks amazing.

browning_88 t1_iyf1fmy wrote

Just got my wife a solid one from portland leather. . .https://www.portlandleathergoods.com/products/accordion-zip-wallet

ReenMo t1_iyf2yjb wrote

Try Sakroots

ethan-bubblegum-tate t1_iyf3o1o wrote

Thomas Burberry (not standard Burberry). My wife’s is in tip top shape years in. I’m also partial to Montblanc. Solid craftsmanship!

Dr_Prof_Pat t1_iyf4d5n wrote

If you don't mind the price you can commission a wallet over at r/leatherclassifieds

There's plenty of people selling their premade ones too

SilvDeVill t1_iyf4e7i wrote

I bought a Kate spade passport wallet. Have had it since 2012 doesn’t be even have a scratch, loose thread or tear. They are the literal best.

ciaragemmam t1_iyf5jff wrote

Kate Spade New York. I bought one six years ago that’s still in perfect condition, the only reason I replaced it is because it’s hot pink and it’s too bright for me now. The one I bought was similar quality, and the prices in the outlets mean it’s very worth it

a-girl-named-kat t1_iyf6kds wrote

My fossil wallet is still going strong after several years of near daily use. I love it.

Unlucky-Possession-9 t1_iye6oro wrote

https://www.thehouseofflynn.com/collections/wallets I got it because it fits a Happy Planner Skinny Classic size planner in it... And though I've not really been using the planner side for a while I still have some HP discs with some envelopes from HP to have cash and other goodies (There is enough room without it but I like the envelopes)

The one I have is velvet so won't last as long as a leather one but I've had a few years and there is JUST the slight signs of wear!

datalovesspot t1_iye70eb wrote

I have a smaller version of this wallet and I love it (I also have a purse that has held up to indelicate handling lol). I also regularly use a little card holder I purchased from coach eons ago that still looks new.

Dainty-frailty t1_iyeapl9 wrote

I have a Furla wallet I got as a Christmas gift 7 or so years ago, still going strong.

stroppy t1_iyehcv4 wrote

Another person for Fossil. My wife’s Fossil wallet has lasted 10 years and shows no sign of falling apart anytime soon.

Wrong-Mixture-3339 t1_iyel8b4 wrote

This may sound odd, but I’ve had my Cole Haan wallet for 9 years now - it’s been through the wash (don’t ask) and is still perfect. I’ve conditioned it a couple times tho - mostly after heavy water exposure.

cserrah t1_iyeucr5 wrote

I was recently looking for the same. Check out Lo&Sons wallets! Thoughtful designs and their slim wallet can hold a passport too. They also use quality materials like leather link here

ryanrosenblum t1_iyf0mpn wrote

Not specifically for women but Tanner Goods Trucker wallets are great

holeefookh t1_iyf2xb8 wrote

Some women put money between their boobs. Should last a lifetime

Sofiwyn t1_iyf64pq wrote

I've had my Fossil wallet for over three years now and it still looks new.

Which isn't really a long time, but it's apparently way better than Target.

I can confirm Coach wallets last, I have a friend who has one that's still going and I believe she's had it for around ten years. Of course, idk if newer Coach wallets are just as good.

FionaTheFierce t1_iyf735l wrote

I have a Tory Burch one that is zippered and excellent.

Look for all parts to be heavy high quality leather and hardware. Avoid any little plastic windows for ID.

penlowe t1_iyf7yum wrote

I have a Coach coin purse I’ve used since 1990. It’s almost black from sitting in the bottom of my purses all that time. I also have a Kate Spade wallet I’ve carried 15+ years. Both sit in my King Ranch purse that I have been carrying 10+ years. I don’t like changing bags or wallets very often.

murphyslawwhore t1_iyfbh2w wrote

I picked up a leather wallet off the sidewalk in 1995 that was pillaged of its contents and have been using it for almost 28 years. Can't give you any advice on that one.

Relaxandbreath t1_iyef73h wrote

There are gendered wallets??? Bifold isn't the only kind?? I thought the rest were just coin purses...

notniceicehot t1_iyf038x wrote

I believe the term for them is a continental wallet- their dimensions are about the same as a dollar bill laid out flat. they're sized for purses rather than pockets.