Submitted by frustrated-rocka t3_z1zvr7 in BuyItForLife

I'm broke, and I'm trying to save money over the long term by saving up to try and reduce or eliminate one of my larger annual expenses - and where better to start getting out from under the boots theory of socioeconomic unfairness than with my actual boots?

I don't like to think about my wardrobe. I am perfectly happy owning exactly 3 pairs of shoes: one running / gym pair, one dress pair, and one pair for everything else. I'm looking for one pair of daily driver shoes that I can wear :

• To the office
  • On a date
  • On errands
  • Doing home / car maintenance
  • On a light hike
  • In all kinds of terrible weather
  • For the rest of my life

There appears to be some debate about what price point that could be achievable at. Two years ago, poor, uneducated, naive little me thought that could be done with a $120 pair of Doc Martens 1460s, which are still the most expensive footwear I have ever owned. I probably have a year or two left on them at this rate, but at this point, the next thing that goes wrong is not going to get repaired.

Some considerations:

• My toes rise when I walk. Every sneaker and cheap hiking boot I've ever had has either blown out at the toe cap or had the sole separate at the ball of the foot. If the toe box on a boot is low, it needs to be flexible. Otherwise, something's going to give, and that something will probably be my foot rather than a tough leather boot.
  • The docs are currently at the cobbler for worn through lining at the heels and cracked heel counters. It's a $50 repair that should hopefully help with the heel slip I've been getting in them. I've also gotten orthotics for them that have helped, and which I could potentially reuse in whatever the next boot I get is. They've been my go-to for leaving the house for the last 2 years; given the pandemic, that's not saying a massive amount.
  • Grip: I live in a city. It rains. In my experience, smooth soles do not like concrete, brick, and asphalt when wet, and are a deathtrap when ice or slush are present.
  • Size: the current Doc Martens 1460 is a US 9. I know they run small, but I honestly don't know if my proper shoe size is 9.5, 10 or 10.5 US.
  • Style: Has to be plain toe, and would have to be very attractive to convince me to not have the sole be all black. Color: black or dark, warm brown only, absolutely no suede. Yes, I am boring.
  • Everything I've read says that bad things happen if you don't rotate your shoes. If the one shoe for everything forever policy is that far out of the question, then the budget drops to 200, since whatever I buy, I'd need to get two of.

Based on what I've seen recommended here, the options I know about are:

• $199: Thursday President. Pros: Very good looking, appear to be a decent number of people reporting it still going strong after 4+ years, seems like the only option even worth considering at $200. Cons: Quality control, durability questions, toe cap is concerningly low
  • $210: Solovair 8-Eye Derby boot. Pros: Kind of a known quantity, the proper version of what I have now. Great reviews. Sell replacement default & commando soles to maintain the feel I've gotten used to after resoling. Cons: Possible heel slip also carries over from Doc Martens, copy-paste customer service response to sole separation defects has shown up in multiple searches from posts spanning years.
  • $350: Red Wing Iron Ranger. Pros: Cheapest I've found that people agree should actually last a lifetime, can be tried on at a store very close to me, lots of vertical room in toe area. Cons: Not as dressy as I'd like, I hate cap toes, EXPENSIVE, would not allow for backup pair, there is exactly 1 used / factory pair in my size available anywhere online that I've looked, and I can't afford to pull the trigger on that pair at this time.
  • $380: Grant Stone Diesel. Pros: leather heel counter, have seen nothing but praise for craftsmanship, plain toe. Cons: EXPENSIVE, factory seconds not available, online only, unlikely to find used pair in size and color I like, would not allow for anything as backup pair, possible that leather heel counter could lose stability over time and introduce slip?
  • $???: These, which would possibly involve straining my relationship with parts of my family were I to ask about them. Pros: Handmade by a relative; everything else I've gotten from him has been completely indestructible with minimal maintenance required - the belt I got from him has been worn every day for the last 8 years, used as a strop, used as impromptu handcuffs, used as an improvised weapon (a larp got way out of hand), occasionally been slept in, and shows barely any signs of wear except for some wrinkling at the holes I use and overall darkening of the brown leather. Cons: Said family member lives on the other side of the planet from me so shipping would be a nightmare on top of the cost of the boot, it absolutely has to fit in whatever size I get the first time, returns are not feasible, and I'm not comfortable asking for a discount since I've actually been in his workshop and seen how much work goes into these.

I'm sure there are other brands that people swear by that haven't jumped out in my research, and I would love to hear about them, especially if there are any others worth looking at closer to the $200 range.

I'm sure this all reads like someone coming into a Ferrari subreddit and asking about reliable vehicles they can use to get from point A to point B, but I am new to all of this and even the cheapest of these options will require at least a few months to save up for. Thanks for your input!

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

GexGecko t1_ixdtuf4 wrote

Didn't Vimes prefer his cardboard soles? How else would he know what street he was on?

My 'Bogs' are comfortable, but are starting to rip after only a year.

vacuous_comment t1_ixfjeam wrote

He remarked about the longevity of rich person boots, but at other times actively sought out the crappy cardboard ones.

waehrik t1_ixedwd3 wrote

Your relative's boots look great but wouldn't match up to your list of requirements. The way the tongue/front of the leather attaches leaves a huge overlap where water can enter. They'd likely be fine in light rain but certainly not "terrible weather"

Personally I'd go with a pair of Nick's or White's boots as a primary but then buy a cheap pair of Timberlands or discount boots from r/frugalmalefashion for chores and car repair. You don't want to ruin your nice pair with toe gouges from kneeling down if the same pair will serve as your nice date/office boots.

Pearl_krabs t1_ixdq17x wrote

You should try r/Boots

You want something resoleable made with decent materials that can be used in multiple situations. Thursday is a good place to start. Have you looked at Jim Green boots? There might be something there for you.

Also there are an absolutely stunning number of big time youtubers who focus on boots. Do a search and spend a few hours on the best boots for the money videos. I like Rose Anvil and Stridewise.

PageStunning6265 t1_ixdu0c1 wrote

I don’t have any suggestions, but I love that you brought up the Vimes Boot theory.

Can I suggest thrifting while you save for your Vimes boots?

frustrated-rocka OP t1_ixs5alr wrote

>Can I suggest thrifting

Thank you for suggesting this! No idea why it never crossed my mind to for shoes at a thrift store; I've had ridiculously good luck in the past with coats and jackets before. Turns out my luck is holding - I went to a few near me and did not find boots, but I did find these for $17. Even including the $85 resole (which they needed; the soles are worn down almost all the way to the leather), that's still a hell of a lot less than I'd pay new for something comparable in appearance and much lower quality. The leather's in great shape, these seem like they should last a while. Plenty of time to save up!

bootsforever t1_ixejutv wrote

r/goodyearwelt (and r/goodyearweltexchange) would probably be your friend here. Leather boots (or shoes- I'm more of a boot person) will last forever if you take care of them.

Stitchdown or Goodyear Welt construction are higher quality and can be more easily resoled. Historically Docs were great shoes, especially if they are goodyear welted, but I think they outsourced production and the quality has gone down. You might ask r/AskACobbler if there is any way to prolong the life of your current pair. Those forums (plus r/boots) can help you figure out what companies have good quality, and what shoes have your desired attribute (flexible/spacious toe box, etc).

I have two pairs of leather boots that have vibram soles, and they pretty much get me through everything. One pair is brown, pull-on, harness boots by Vintage boot company, which was pretty random- I don't remember how I found them. I myself was trying to escape from Vimes' boots theory at the time. I've had them for about 8 years, and probably gotten them resoled three times. They look a bit beat up now but for years I hardly wore any other shoe. I still love them and wear them all the time. They probably would be in slightly better shape now if I had taken care of them better, but they were the first pair of high-quality leather footwear I had, and I didn't really know how to take care of them.

I just bought the second pair- black Chippewa engineer boots- off Ebay that I expect will be a similar caliber. New in the box, under $150. I'm still breaking them in but I feel really good about them.

Incidentally, both pairs of boots were advertised as motorcycle boots. I don't ride motorcycles but I think any boot that can stand up to that kind of abuse will last me a good long while.

I also have a pair of Blundstones that I really like- sturdy and comfortable. I haven't tried to get them repaired yet, so I don't know how they would hold up.

I think if you can figure out what you want, you can lurk around Ebay (or Poshmark or Thredup) and if you are patient, you can probably snag a pair of new or little-used shoes for less than market value.

If you can swing it, having two pairs of every-day shoes or exercise shoes is way better. Not only is it better for your feet, the shoes also last longer when they are allowed to dry out. That said, I think one pair of solid daily drivers would take you pretty far.

Nikkivegas1 t1_ixdy4o3 wrote

I think you answered your own question. Your relative has already proven that he makes indestructible pieces. Pay the money, don’t ask for Discount, get his boots and never buy another pair.

madpiratebippy t1_ixe9w4w wrote

Honestly I buy my expensive shoes on eBay.

If someone else wants to let go of a pair of Allan Edmonds for $50, instead of me spending $400 in the store /!; they’re a buy it for life brand? That’s where I go.

I buy a lot of buy it for life brand stuff used. Some folks like the brand recognition without understanding why the brand is popular and they tend to get rid of the stuff well before it’s used up.

Try it on to get the size perfect at the store than make an alert for exactly what you want on eBay.

I think red wing work boots might be your best bet, and I see them used on eBay with some regularity.

cigale t1_ixhch0z wrote

First, the Discworld reference is wonderful! Second, I hate to say it, but you probably need two pairs of shoes/boots. They collectively can last the rest of your life, but shoes tend to do a lot better if you can let them fully dry out (even just from the sweat of your feet) for a day between wears. If you’re wearing the shoes in bad weather, this is even more important.

I would advise getting the new (or new to you) shoes while your current ones still have some life so you can alternate. Then get a second pair of BIFL shoes when you’ve had a chance to save up again. By that point, you’ll also know if the good shoes you got hit all the marks or if you need your alternate shoes to have slightly different qualities, e.g. better water repelling in the new shoes but you can sacrifice a little bit of looks to get it.

UncleDarryl t1_ixe9yf9 wrote

I wear my Nicks boots every day and plan to for the next few decades. Lotta options for all your needs.

Your relative’s boots also look awesome. Up to ya, I suppose.

abi0p t1_ixenjvu wrote

They're super expensive, but a pair of Nick's or Whites would probably do the job for you. They're handmade in the USA, and are pretty much universally agreed to be the best boots money can buy. They also have a bunch of styles so I'm sure one of them would meet your criteria.

flyfisheryfool4 t1_ixdtkp7 wrote

You might also be able to find something more affordable on ebay, even if just to try on sizes or check quality, before you invest in a new pair

Fickle_Foundation_88 t1_ixdvtx4 wrote

Take a look at Golden Fox. I have bought their factory seconds. Have worn the moc toes for 3 plus years now. I have the Boondockers too, but don't wear them as often. Under 100 bucks with a Goodyear welt. Can't beat it.

amkoh0 t1_ixdzs0j wrote

thrift store

DrKennethNoisewater- t1_ixes5p4 wrote

Take a look at Red Wing Blacksmith. Similar to the Iron Rangers.

fleecetoes t1_ixesbi7 wrote

I've had my Thursdays for about a year, and they just keep getting better looking. Their Dainite style sole isn't good on wet tile, but not all of their boots have that. Build quality has been great, and I wear them basically every day including 3 weeks of backpacking around Europe. Aside from periodic resoling, I see no reason these will wear out any time soon, at least with my lifestyle.

Easy_Independent_313 t1_ixew8pe wrote

Any way you can have pressed insoles made and send those to your cousin across the world and have home make you a pair? You have a year or so to save up before yours go tits up. I really think the ones you showed in the photo are super awesome.

tahmeeneauxbulls t1_ixlw9cf wrote

Check out Timberland. I’ve had a pair of their sneaker boots for a few years now and really enjoy them. I just bought a pair of their Redwood Falls Chelsea’s for my brother-in-law many of the reasons you’re describing. I almost got the Rugged 6-inch brown leather lace ups but went for slip-ons instead.

They’re full-grain leather and have a nice thick sole that will last.