Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

F-21 t1_ixi65pw wrote

They really are constructed very similarly to the original Docs.

But keep in mind you pay a lot of UK labour and the Docs style. 200€ can get you better boots. Docs were concieved as cheap work boots, not high quality work boots. Something like Redwing moc toe is a lot more "premium" throughout (way better leather quality, leather linings, ridiculously thick leather insole, proper goodyear welt...).

ATM, if you want good boots, definitely check out Jim Green footwear. Proudly made in South Africa, they're representing what Docs did in their good days (cheap work boots) but with even better construction (stitchdown welted design! very water resistant and resoleable), nicer leather, very roomy and comfortably wide sizes and really affordable prices for boots of this quality... On friday they might drop some good deals too!

If you want the more British style, they have even have a stitchdown Chelsea boot.

I have the vellies but will definitely (discount or not) buy some more styles on friday for me and my family.

I also have Solovairs, but I only really wear them to concerts.

blackdavidcross t1_ixi7pj7 wrote

Thanks for the insight. The Docs I had were UK made and actually purchased from a Ross discount clothing store in the US for under $50. I fear I’ll never be able to replicate that experience! I’ve since learned of the better boot brands and have a couple pairs of Frye (for dress) and Danner (for kicking shit) that I’ve been very happy with. I’ve been looking at picking up a pair of Red Wing boots as well.

F-21 t1_ixiwoyu wrote

I have a pair of old redwing moctoes, they're wonderful and the moc toe boot... The new ones are supposedly still made entirely like they were in the past (but some other redwings are not quite the same as they used to be.... like, I heard the iron rangers use some more synthetic linings inside now).

Mine are the classic 875 model. If I was buying them today I'd get the 1907 model which is a bit wider and more comfortable. Well, they're practically moulded to my foot now and are very comfortable, but I'd like a bit of a wider sole regardless, The 875 are very narrow.

For less than the Redwings, you can check out Thorogood, those are really nice too (I think just slightly inferior materials). Also Thursdays are great boots for the money (compared to the redwings they have slightl. inferior materials and made in Mexico...).

Above Redwings, you need to look at pacific northwest boots... Whites, Nicks, JKs, Wesco, Franks...

For 50$, or even 100$ (with inflation...), Solovairs/classic Docs would be awesome. But UK mass production is gone and labour got way more expensive, while the iconic style of the Docs also has a price now... That's why I think Jim Greens are awesome, sure they won't get as classic as Docs but they do offer amazing quality for what they cost.