Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Potential_Wave_3662 t1_ixm1fnl wrote

Talking about underwear, which boxer briefs brands do you recommend?

wellnowholdon OP t1_ixmfo4g wrote

Nylon blends have treated me well so far, there's certainly an odor and durability edge with them over other synthetics like polyester.

I've seen Duluth's Buck Naked recommended and I'd second that for a 100% Nylon experience. Purchased 2 weeks worth stock from them a while back during a flash sale: 15 bucks a pop is a far cry from what these wool offerings ask.

That said, initial impressions wearing the W&P wool/nylon underwear have been fantastic, it reminds me of soft new cotton underwear before they get broken in and become more abrasive. I'll definitely be looking to switch to wool/nylon blends moving forward.

Potential_Wave_3662 t1_ixmgpp8 wrote

I see... But wouldn't Cotton ones feel more comfortable than these Nylon ones? I've just looked at these Duluth's Buck Naked and they surely look high quality and durable. However, I don't know if they are really comfortable (which for me is really important)

wellnowholdon OP t1_ixmiyn5 wrote

Cotton will, at least in the case of the cotton underwear I've tried v. the Buck Naked's that I've tried- feel more "soft" to the touch at first. Think fluffy bunny. I find with extended use and repeated washing this may in time turn into a texture akin to a washrag, or a cheaper towel. Sort of a rougher feel, not rough in of itself but now closer to a gritty/sandpaper feel especially when dry, than the former fluffy bunny feel they had new.

Very well could be the cotton blends I've used though.

Nylon isn't fluffy bunny, but it also isn't abrasive. It's tricky to explain but in keeping with its sister synthetics like polyester, which you may have some experience with from exercise shirts or the like- it's just sort of smooth.

I think part of the fluffy feeling for clothing comes from loose fibers that are sort of frazzled or sticking out of the main weave. Maybe similar to how the hair on your head is a bunch of individual strands sticking out which normally are a soft and fuzzy/slightly springy mass if you press on them . But if you take those hairs tie them together into a tight braid or what not- it's not the braid becomes suddenly uncomfortable... Just more dense with less give/bounce than a loose head of hair, but still smooth to the touch. That's how nylon feels, smooth but dense. Cotton starts off with that fuzzy feel, but over time drops off to a much less appealing state.

In my experience a basic cotton garment can feel rougher than synthetics especially over time, in most cases.

Potential_Wave_3662 t1_ixmjp8k wrote

Hum... I see. I didn't know that! Guess I'm gonna consider buying some nylon boxers to try and see whether I like them. Thanks for the tips!