Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Wader_Man t1_j2dr3mx wrote

All Chelsea's are going to have that same 'flaw' though, no matter the brand. I'm in Ottawa and wear winter blundstones all winter long, in town. For urban use they are more than enough.

If you're worried on a particular day, wear warmer socks that day. If you're really really worried, you should buy proper winter boots in a non-Chelsea style, something that wraps your whole ankle.

kizarat OP t1_j2ejw3n wrote

So it seems. I might have to try looking into some lace up boots with a removable insole.

Do you have those woolen insoles in your Blundstones for the winter?

Wader_Man t1_j2elvkn wrote

Yes indeed I have those inserts. The winter boots are fine all winter in Ottawa for commuting, going to a restaurant or walking around an outdoor market. I would wear something more substantial if I was going to be standing around outside for hours though.

kizarat OP t1_j2ep15z wrote

Those would be the use cases that I would wear Chelsea-style boots for. I rarely spend more than an hour outside during the winter.

I live down south in Kitchener-Waterloo which might be just a few digits warmer than Ottawa.

Wader_Man t1_j2eq5vn wrote

If I lived in Kitchener, yes I would buy winter Blundstones and not worry about it at all. If it were especially especially cold, I'd wear some thicker wool socks that day.

kizarat OP t1_j2ew78z wrote

What do you think of Redback boots?

They're slightly cheaper than the Blundstones I looked at, have removable insoles and apparently have better build quality than Blundstones but they're also made in Australia instead of Vietnam.

Wader_Man t1_j2ey9si wrote

Hi. Sorry, I don't know anything about them.

kizarat OP t1_j2eyz65 wrote

No worries. Thanks for your input though.

Wader_Man t1_j2ezqv7 wrote

I guess the other candidates are Canada West, Doc Marten, and Ugg?

kizarat OP t1_j2f4uhx wrote

Canada West seems to be a strong contender. Not sure about Doc Marten and Ugg.