Submitted by snadwich_nam t3_zfmgzs in BuyItForLife

I've seen a number of different threads about work pants and construction pants, but what I'm really after are ones pants and shorts (but pants primarily) that can be used everyday for either office or casual use.

I, as I'm sure many others do, have a hard time finding pants that work for us for the long haul.

I should clarify that I'm speaking only of pants, not jeans as there are even more threads covering those as well as other subs.

Feel free to comment generally for brands or specific pants you feel work for both office and casual usage, for I would love people to find this thread useful.

However for me some things I would love specifically:

.good materials that don't feel cheap or make that whooshing sound when you walk like with cheaper synthetics

.pants that can be used in most climates, whether it be alone or with base layers to accompany them

.I moreso prefer a tapered fit and less baggy

.relatively good range of motion, nothing too stiff or tight, but nothing too stretchy where it doesn't return to its original shape easily

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

jenjenmuss t1_izdef4i wrote

Lululemon’s abc and commission pants are great and come with a lifetime warranty.

snadwich_nam OP t1_izfr2aa wrote

How does the lifetime warranty work? Does it cover wear, and do they tend to honor it?

jenjenmuss t1_izfronj wrote

It does cover wear, I wore through the crotch of mine and a hole finally appeared (after 4 years of at least 2x wear a week.) and I took them into the local retail location and they told me I could either send them in for repair or to go pick a new pair off the shelf. I chose the latter. Two minutes for a quick exchange receipt and I was on my way. I’ve since bought 5 more pairs and wear nothing else. Had one problem with a hole in the right front pocket of a pair, once again exchanged with no question.

Edit: I understand they also have an online option for defect and warranty replacement, I’ve just never used it.

snadwich_nam OP t1_izfsfna wrote

Wow this is honestly surprising. I only ever thought of them as the athleisure company for woman's leggings and figured they'd have warranties that followed with more fast fashion, this is great insight!

jenjenmuss t1_izfskyj wrote

Check out their boxer briefs while you are there. They’re amazing. Nothing but good things to say about the company in my experience.

W3althMan t1_izfyhcj wrote

Got my first pair last year and only pants I wear now, ABC and Comissions. Also they hve the best shorts for both running and gym.

Junior_Ad2955 t1_izcnehs wrote

Jack Donnelley makes some GREAT khakis

snadwich_nam OP t1_izfrdgb wrote

Look nice, any particular make that you recommend? Looks like some of them from their pictures almost have a cathartt type material

Junior_Ad2955 t1_izghyhd wrote

Any of them are good, I am getting the poplin for Christmas so I haven’t tried that yet

Steelringin t1_izcqzyq wrote

5.11 Apex is my go-to. While they do have cargo pockets which turns some people off they are very discreet. Very soft material with a fair amount stretch. Relatively light but I wear them all year round. I may opt for shorts when temps hit around 25°C in the summer and maybe adding some long underwear when temps dip below -20°C and I'm outside for any length of time in the winter.

While I haven't had this particular model of 5.11 trousers for very long i can tell you that all of their other trousers last me for several years or regular use. I would say the avergae is about 5 years and I'm not terribly easy on clothes. They're just about the only brand of trousers that I buy. I only buy others if I happen to find something at a thrift store that I feel like taking a chance on.

kelvin_bot t1_izcr0v4 wrote

25°C is equivalent to 77°F, which is 298K.

^(I'm a bot that converts temperature between two units humans can understand, then convert it to Kelvin for bots and physicists to understand)

Neverendingnerd t1_izf5rse wrote

Yup. 5.11 pants are by far the comfiest pants I've worn while giving me the most mobility and looking like normal pants that I could wear to an office.

With that being said, they are a super "tacticool" based company, and sometimes it can be hard trying to figure out what pants are good online. they are also expensive unless you get them on sale.

snadwich_nam OP t1_izfrz26 wrote

Seems to be the case, any of them that seem to garner good reviews? Looks like they have some without the cargo pockets

Neverendingnerd t1_izg6i18 wrote

They all are pretty good. I have 5 different types of pants from them, all have the same quality. I would suggest going to youtube to find specific reviews.

Steelringin t1_izgchf9 wrote

They are expensive because they're high quality. All of their trousers that I've tried outlast anything else I've ever worn by a considerable margin. This is BIFL so up-front cost shouldn't be a factor in the discussion, just overall value.

snadwich_nam OP t1_izfrwfn wrote

I'll admit I'm also a little iffy on the cargo pockets, however it looks like they have some without it. Any thoughts on their other makes?

Steelringin t1_izgbv2d wrote

I've had 4 different models and all of them have been very good quality. I think the only issue I've ever had was with their Traverse model, which is now discontinued. They're a soft shell material and they pilled but that's only because I put them in the dryer. I got a second pair after the ones that pilled that I never machine dried and they're fine. Both pairs still going strong 6 and 8 years later.

Cautious_Actuary_518 t1_izctwof wrote

Check out Public Rec. They fit more in the athleisure category but their whole concept is clothing you can wear both comfortably at home and also at the office

CMYKoi t1_izdvjaq wrote

Thrifted a pair of public rec and the cut and feel of the material is exceptional.

snadwich_nam OP t1_izfs91p wrote

These actually look like they fit the bill pretty well! Hows the durability? Looks like thankfully they have ones with belt loops to for more tucked in offices

Cautious_Actuary_518 t1_izgtm23 wrote

Quality is solid. Mine have held up pretty well. Which pair are you thinking of getting? I recently bought some on sale here at 40% off. They've got a few different pairs of the The Workday pant still up if you want to save a few bucks.

1212gatez t1_izdyw1s wrote

My spouse prefers Patagonia performance twill jeans. They come in a good range of colors and are slimmer fit. He skateboards in them and wears them to work, they look great. He has them in every color and it’s all he wears.

redbucket75 t1_izcovlg wrote

I love Sherpa Adventure Pants

nshields84 t1_izduygx wrote

Western Rise. I have 3 pairs of evolution and 1 pair of diversion (a bit heavier and more tapered). People really like their AT too.

I can travel for weeks with just a few pair, wear with tee shirt, button down, or sweatshirt. Especially the evolution do well in warmth (though I wear diversion in summer heat too), but also a nice job cutting wind.

I was checking and looks like they have a sale on pants right now.

snadwich_nam OP t1_izfqz8i wrote

I have been asking for a pair of evolution pants for the past two Christmases now, hoping this time its the one!

What are the main differences between diversion and evolution? How's the wear held up?

nshields84 t1_izhtlbg wrote

They hold up incredibly well. I wear them A LOT and no discernible wear.

Evolution are thinner/lighter and fit a bit looser. Diversion are thicker canvas - more denim weight - and the fit is more tailored.

There’s an evolution 2.0 out but I’ve not tried.

I’m 5’7.5” and have had all of them tailored shorter - and no issues.

Fwiw I have WR hats, 2 merino oxfords, and a performance flannel (discontinued I think). All their stuff is great. I’ve backed most projects on kickstarter. I’d buy their jackets too if I didn’t have a good lineup already.

ExaminationSmooth390 t1_izeyuyy wrote

I recently started wearing Vuori and have since replaced most of my wardrobe. Their Meta chinos are a great everyday office choice, almost feels like you’re naked, but they’re super durable. Also for t shirts I wear the strato tech almost every day