Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ConscientiousDissntr t1_j02vevw wrote

When we moved, I left my cheap 10 year old top loader behind and excitedly bought an LG front loader. I hated that front loader with a blinding passion, but couldn't bring myself to replace a nearly new machine. I eventually replaced it with a used top loader I got for free. I didn't feel right selling it, so I donated it to a family that didn't have one. The front loader did NOT get clothes clean, probably due to not enough water (even with the extra water setting). There was barely a little puddle in the bottom. Imagine washing a sinkload of dirty pots and pans in an inch of sink water and you get the idea. So I had to soak the clothes first, but problem is you can't soak clothes in a front washer. I got a big 5 gallon bucket just for that purpose. I had to fill the 5 gallon bucket, add a little Oxyclean and laundry detergent, add the clothes and manually agitate them a little, soak the clothes for 30 minutes, then lug the heavy bucket to the washer and awkwardly pour them in to the front loader. It was ridiculous, I felt like a washer woman from 100 years ago. If you start the door and then want to add a couple items, you have to wait for the washer to drain out a little water before the door unlocks, then after you add the clothes, it refills again. Front loaders look stupid with the door hanging open all the time. The u-shaped seal had an insufficient "lip" to keep water out and collected a puddle of water in the bottom of the seal after every wash. The inside of the seal was always disgusting--wet, moldy, hairy and slimy. (I ALWAYS left the door completely open, did not use fabric softener, and used less detergent than called for.) When the musty smell got too bad, I would dry the inside of the seal then stuff bleach-soaked rags in there, and go back in every hour or so and wipe down the seal with the rags, then rinse and resoak the rags (OUTSIDE with a hose and bucket, since we are on septic and I can't put a bunch of bleach in the septic), repeating the whole process until the seal was clean. It was absolutely ridiculous! I'd never get another front loader.

Bones1225 OP t1_j03yxsu wrote

Oh man that’s basically exactly how I feel about our front loader lol. Never again.