Submitted by fakejacki t3_zughzz in BuyItForLife

I was in a car accident in September and now am paralyzed from the chest down. My feet no longer are the size they were before, and they change size through the day with swelling despite compression socks. I need something on my feet to protect them from pressure sores but thus far the only thing I can keep on(or even get on) that fit are bombas slipper socks. I can’t wear slipper socks the rest of my life, I need something I can wear in public that don’t look ridiculous. So something with a suede on the outside would be best.

I used to wear a size 8(women’s) standard width. I have tried a few and they’re or not wide enough to get on or they’re so heavy when I try to transfer from my chair they get caught up, or just fall off or offset my weight it’s very hard to transfer. I am hoping y’all can help. I am assuming my next step is mens but I need something not heavy, but with at least some sole with grip.

Thanks

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

GammaRaystogo t1_j1jchyf wrote

You might find Glerups fit the bill. I'm old, with wide prone to ache feet, and the Glerups (felted, with leather or rubber soles) are excellent to me.

akohhh t1_j1j0t9x wrote

Would something like Toms slippers work?

All Birds might also be good. They have a bunch of styles including slip ons and are very light weight. I’m a woman with size 43 (US womens 11, men’s 9.5) and I find them quite comfy—I usually buy men’s for some extra width.

harmswhey t1_j1j5rzn wrote

Can’t recommend these enough. I love Lems shoes personally and these are great. Lems has a more natural foot shape for all their shoes so that may help you a bit. I also wear these out and they look perfectly acceptable. Lem’s Drifter

fakejacki OP t1_j1j99ag wrote

These look great, I’ll check them out.

biker-baker t1_j1j821l wrote

Maybe Allbirds or Teva Reember? My Allbirds are all very light, and they come in different fabric weights so you could get a woolly pair for winter. I have a pair of Teva Reembers that I use as slippers but they can totally be outdoor shoes.

I have never had them but I wonder if a Birkenstock or similar clog might work.

fakejacki OP t1_j1j97lt wrote

These are good recommendations, I’ll check them out. Thank you

retention-expert t1_j1jap0i wrote

I have these ones from North Face. They are sturdy and warm, forgiving in width, have a hard rubber sole and have lasted about five years at this point with no signs of wear. They are also easily pulled on and off with one hand, similar to the bombas slipper socks. They kind of remind me of a puffer jacket for your feet. I am sorry to hear about your accident and hope you are holding up OK as you adjust!

Junior_Ad2955 t1_j1k6122 wrote

Try High Plains Sheepskin. They rock and are wide (I hate narrow shoes of any sort) and they have a hard sole option

chefkoolaid t1_j1uoyrq wrote

Mocassins try Quoddy or Rancourt