Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

swbooking t1_j4p3tks wrote

If you’re looking for a replacement, I went from OralB to the Sonicare DiamondClean and really love the change.

jimmy_film t1_j4pce89 wrote

I made the change in 2015, still have the toothbrush, am in fact about to use it. Would 10/10 recommend!

Charlezingalls t1_j4rs2ca wrote

I switched to sonicare two weeks ago that hollow oral b head grows mold and is too difficult to clean.

CareBearOvershare t1_j4p8qtb wrote

Worst electric toothbrush is Quip. That thing does not remove plaque or tartar at all.

Dat_Mustache t1_j4rqlhd wrote

I regret buying Quip. It's a toothbrush that vibrates. It stays in my travel bag.

anevri t1_j4qota7 wrote

I don’t have that issue with my quip. But I do have issues with the motor not running for the full 2 minutes. And sometimes not turning on at all.

MathCrank t1_j4q5uds wrote

It also makes your teeth BIFL

evan-unit-01 t1_j4rgl5t wrote

Sometimes I wish I could go back in time and beat this concept into my brain....

SimpleVegetable5715 t1_j4rw416 wrote

I have a Sonicare like this, I bought it in 2007. Just keep buying new brush heads. The battery refuses to die. My dentist is like, why don't you buy a new one with bluetooth, like why does my toothbrush need bluetooth 😂

heart_under_blade t1_j4sq7yj wrote

i can talk a bit about this. i have a 10 year costco one and a recent costco one.

only the more expensive ones have bluetooth. not even the costco one does.

the motor and the control for it is certainly updated. the two power settings are much more extreme than the old one. the low is much lower and the high is higher. gum care mode is dumb and i don't care. they exist on both.

the new one has a pressure sensor, which may or may not be useful. it's gonna be a bad shock to you to find out you've always brushed too hard.

the new one has an rfid reader that alerts you to change your brush head. this is really useful to me, not because i can't count. i use it to verify the brush head's authenticity. i use g3 heads which are not cheap so i gamble on amazon and or ebay. 20cad per head is not something i'd like to pay.

SlipperyDoodoo t1_j4wjfb9 wrote

maybe the american models have set the brush to SAY you're pressing too hard so that you press inadequately so that the dentists with their pockets in sonicare can make more money.

edcculus t1_j4scitf wrote

Lol yea we recently bought our first ones- and tbey all come with Bluetooth now. It has a connection to an app that tells you how good your coverage is, if you are pressing too hard etc. all in all, I used it for maybe 2 months. It lost its novelty. The brush pulses 3 times when you reach the 2 min mark anyways.

Phasenout t1_j4p5o4z wrote

That's a brAun.

ItsCalledDayTwa t1_j4pbh0d wrote

Not sure why you're downvoted. It's a Braun. Says it on the device. The replacement head is oral b, but that's not the part we're talking about lasting 15 years.

edhitchon1993 t1_j4pjzk5 wrote

They're one and the same. You can buy both Braun and OralB toothbrushes, the Braun ones tend to be in "manly" colours and the OralB ones in "girly" colours, but that aside they are identical.

BigAlternative5 t1_j4raxon wrote

Here's one marked Oral B and Braun on the base. Maybe it's an Oral B product that uses Braun electric/electronic techology?

debagiranje t1_j4ri1td wrote

Yep:

"In 2005, Oral-B became a brand of Procter & Gamble, which acquired it through the acquisition of the Gillette Company. Since then Oral B powered by Braun electric toothbrushes and all other Oral B products are produced and distributed around the world, serving users of all ages and different needs."

ThirdeYe1337 t1_j4tgiba wrote

The one I bought 3-4 years ago says both Braun and Oral B on the handle.

ItsCalledDayTwa t1_j4u0cip wrote

I don't understand what you're quoting.

Edit: quote removed in edit

ThirdeYe1337 t1_j4u0gra wrote

Yeah i dont know why it quoted that. I was just trying to reply to the post about it being braun instead of oral b. I just edited it and took the quote out since it glitched out initially.

5spd4wd t1_j4oxge8 wrote

I have used Oral B battery powered brushes for over 10 years (not the same one). I wouldn't use any other kind. Try one.

the_smush_push OP t1_j4p2mcw wrote

Battery powered vs electric?

5spd4wd t1_j4riogg wrote

Battery. One battery. I use the lithium kind. These toothbrushes are typically under $10.00 at Amazon and Walmart. I remember buying them at Walmart for about $2.00 before Covid and price gouging.

BigAlternative5 t1_j4r6urs wrote

My Oral B battery-powered brush is the same one of 10+ years. I made sure to keep a small stock of replacement brush heads.

PScooter63 t1_j4r7wc1 wrote

I keep a stash of charged rechargeable batteries, thriftiest solution by far for the performance.

Good to know the sealed rechargeable models last that long though. I wonder if the OP could elaborate on what the cause of death was. Mechanical failure? Internal battery failure?

BigAlternative5 t1_j4ra8x0 wrote

Mine uses AA batts. I also have a large collection of rechargeables, which I started collecting when my son was born. (For toys, you know.) Luv those rechargeable batteries!

coxy1 t1_j4pwjrf wrote

Don't throw it out, it could well be that just the battery needs replacing. You can do it with a soldering iron and a spare hour, just look up the replacement battery for your model and get that ordered and you're away.

I fixed my own last year that wasn't holding much charge and it's worked ever since.

If you have any issues then feel free to PM me I don't mind doing it for you if you're local or wanna pay for shipping it.

GGG15b4d t1_j4rffq1 wrote

My dental hygenist reccomended the oral b they had been using for 11 years, got the same model and I'm very pleased.

heart_under_blade t1_j4rms4o wrote

goddamn that thing has seen better days. the hell do you do with it?

my sonicare platinum something or other from costco is 10 years old now and still looks new. the rubber isn't flaking. the chrome is still shiny. the plastic isn't pitted. the battery life tells a different story though. my mom gets a month+ out of her new sonicare, i get two weeks tops.

the_smush_push OP t1_j4rnsjy wrote

Nothing besides hold it and rinse it. I dunno why it started getting ugly.

Diotima245 t1_j4sw23j wrote

I have a older model OralB electric toothbrush as well it does not quit

Boz6 t1_j4pufqz wrote

We had 4 of those, one each for my wife and 2 kids. The kids moved out several years ago, and I don't know if they're still using them, but my wife and I kept using ours until this month, when my wife replaced them with Philips Sonicare brushes. I did NOT throw the Oral-B brushes away, because they both still work fine, so I'm keeping them as backups, and if necessary, with new heads, they'll be as good as new!

ghosthardware_ t1_j4q95l9 wrote

Deng, mine lasted only two years, but i think my dumb flatmate threw mine to the floor several times.

theulysses t1_j4sbh6f wrote

I have a Norelco Sonicare and the white plastic is yellowing bad. Doesn’t affect the performance, just looks dirty all the time. I’ve even bleached it before and it just keeps on looking dingy.

the_smush_push OP t1_j4slm95 wrote

Basically what happened here. The plastic just couldn’t withstand my hand oils i guess.

Landlover2 t1_j4slj14 wrote

Wow good for you! Dropped mine and month or two later the metal rod the brush is on fell out. Congratulations to you on it lasting so long!

NicoloRizzuto t1_j4th6os wrote

I bought one a month ago. I dropped it once and it stopped working. Not too impressed.

absolutedesi t1_j51x5gb wrote

My Oral-B lasted a grand total of 2 years before battery died :(

Careless_Wishbone_69 t1_j4pz451 wrote

I couldn't believe the mold buildup in my electric toothbrush after a few weeks and went back to traditional.

−4

NoDuck1754 t1_j4q4fib wrote

I thought this sub was for things that don't break. Why is it only pictures of broken shit lately?

−4

the_smush_push OP t1_j4r6ivu wrote

Everything is ephemeral. 15 years for a consumer product is pretty good.

BolivianDancer t1_j4q5jga wrote

Do they also sell an ANAL-B or just the ORAL-B?

−8