Submitted by Luis_McLovin t3_10k4160 in BuyItForLife

Hi all; so I’ve a few Wool and Prince 100% dress shirts which are lovely for work; but clearly got no stretch.

I’m also a ballroom dancer and would like some collared merino shirts for training/practice that have a bit of stretch.

Most likely I expect this would be a blend, which is of course fine; but the issue is I’ve no clue who makes merino blend dress shirts which have slight stretch (just a bit).

Any users have experience or insight with merino blend dress shirts? Please share 🙏🏼

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

AutoModerator t1_j5o7o7e wrote

Hello /u/Luis_McLovin! Thank you for your submission! The AutoMod thought that your post might be a request type post and has changed the flair accordingly, but if this was wrong feel free to change it back!

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

Muncie4 t1_j5oa4vq wrote

You are NOT asking a BIFL question, so you are better served by /r/malefashionadvice. 98% merino wool/2% elastane is what you need to google.

Muncie4 t1_j5og54a wrote

Don't move the goalposts as a wool shirt does not last longer than a long staple cotton one. You posted in the wrong sub...its OK, go to the right one and ask, I even gave you the right sub. Or google for yourself. You are asking a question about where to buy/find as you already have your answer. I gave you two options....go forth and find them.

−12

Luis_McLovin OP t1_j5ogili wrote

My post yesterday on merino generated a lot of interest and discussion, so clearly it’s you who are in the wrong. Users want long-life merino and are willing to pay the price.

A search of “merino” on the subreddit reveals regular and popular discussions on the topic; it clearly shows that quality of clothing is within the Overton window of discussion.

Go play policeman on those posts:

https://reddit.com/r/BuyItForLife/comments/10jahyj/bifl_merino_wool_tops_in_eu_please_share_your/

https://reddit.com/r/BuyItForLife/comments/zwm3wd/best_durable_wool_leggings/

https://reddit.com/r/BuyItForLife/comments/zmxvdq/durable_polyesterwool_baselayer/

2ndfloorbalcony t1_j5ohpw4 wrote

Check out icebreaker merino wool button up shirts. The last one I found had some nice stretch to it

Subgeniusintraining t1_j5p4254 wrote

I’ve looked at a lot of merino dress shirts and don’t recall seeing any with elastene. Not to say their not out there though. You might check out Seagale. They do have some technical dress shirts as well as merino options. Don’t think they have a stretch merino option though.

Sathaea t1_j5p7uqc wrote

I bought my boyfriend Ice Breaker, this was for Christmas last year so I don’t know about its longevity but I’ve seen good reviews

hbkzd987 t1_j5pi14n wrote

Good God this response is why people hate reddit.

Agreed with OP, let other people answer his reasonable BIFL question and get on with your day without judgement or being condescending.

Muncie4 t1_j5pin9v wrote

Nice redirection. Again, you have two sources to visit, concentrate on that vice trying to triple down on being right. Since you like to type, replicate your post on /r/malefashionadvice and get the best advice. Or don't. I'm not your boss. And if you want the longest life in woolens, you should not be asking about Merino

1. Merino wool has a tensile strength of 30-40 N/ktex
  2. Alpaca wool has a tensile strength of 50 N/ktex
  3. Vicuña wool has a tensile strength of 40-64 N/ktex
−2

Muncie4 t1_j5q67ss wrote

Is this the reason....or is it because people who are in the wrong sub are trying to shoehorn their narrative into the sub. The is BIFL, not where can I find a stretchy wool shirt. Notice how OP didn't say one damn word about lifespan? OP can do his own homework. You are free to kvetch about my advice but its ironic that I'm helping OP and you aren't. Help OP vice condemn my help. I'll be awaiting your helpful post with much anticipation.

−2

hbkzd987 t1_j5uh7mq wrote

No, this is the reason, and you've really let it continue, so thank you!

I particularly love that op has shoehorned their narrative into this sub so hard that it has us all shook up. This isn't politics, the narrative is that they want a quality shirt, and this is a good group to ask IMO. No shirts are BIFL and I'm not offering any advice to him [just like many comments on posts of every sub] so I will offer some to you - this is a niche forum of a niche section of the internet; it doesn't need micro-policing for people to have a good time and get the info they desire.