Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

MadCybertist t1_j326l8s wrote

Where do you live that it gets down to negative 100F and only up to 0F? That sucks.

−15

HikeyBoi t1_j3355x7 wrote

It is a common typing convention to use two hyphens in place of an em dash if that does not come standard on the keyboard. Word processing software will sometimes correct two hyphens into an em dash. That is how I type them at work.

MadCybertist t1_j33a9mt wrote

I mean, I get the em dash thing... but that doesn't really have anything to do with my comment. Unless I'm missing something.

There is a - in front of 100F making it negative 100F to 0F. Then -- comes after the 0F separating the temps and then finishing their sentence with 'and'.

​

Apparently Reddit doesn't like jokes - but what they wrote is negative 100F to 0F. Which is why I made my joke.

−8

HikeyBoi t1_j33b4ew wrote

The commenter attempted to use two em dashes kind of like parentheses for a quick informative aside.

If your comment was an attempt at humor, I recommend entertaining only yourself next time. Reddit has become clogged with unfunny halfwitted quips that add nothing to the user experience other than having to wade through them all for the good stuff.

dakta t1_j359kyl wrote

For pedantry, those are hyphen/minus characters. The widths of hyphen/minus, en dash, and em dash are different. They're three completely different characters, different Unicode code points and everything:

- hyphen/minus
\– en dash
\— em dash

And you can get to them easily from the iOS keyboard by long pressing on hyphen/minus.

Allidoischill420 t1_j32bdpl wrote

>--and

It's a double negative, 100 and -0

HikeyBoi t1_j335d2t wrote

Some people are used to typing em dashes by using two hyphens since common word processing software will autocorrect two hyphens into an em dash