Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

middle-aged-tired t1_j32jjdt wrote

Any idea where I could get something similarly well made? We've got two little boys who are almost old enough to sled. I'd rather not buy a new plastic sled every year. I'm in Canada so my options might be limited.

joepinapples OP t1_j32kl7s wrote

Sweden in the 1980s? 😂 no idea, dont know if they make these sort of sledding vehicles anymore

RaXha t1_j3499wh wrote

Stiga still makes ones more or less just like these. :)

b1gd4ta t1_j34duu1 wrote

Shh you’ll spoil ops narrative

−9

False_Illustrator_34 t1_j34qxsm wrote

There was no narrative here though. OP said they straight up didn't know if they were made anymore and that's it

MadAss5 t1_j33cuvm wrote

I made a sled out of downhill skis, 1/2 in galvanized pipe, and a plank of wood. Its nearly indestructible compared to everything you can buy.

Girthw0rm t1_j34f1vy wrote

Sounds like it weighs about 80 lbs.

Fun for every six-year-old!

MadAss5 t1_j34pcsx wrote

I just checked and it weighs 19lbs. It holds up to 3 kids so they can pull it up together but my 8 year can do it alone. It does have a bit of rope attached.

It truly is an awesome sled.

Girthw0rm t1_j34utqf wrote

That sounds sweet. I would have way over engineered it.

MadAss5 t1_j34w23i wrote

The simplicity is the best part. Nothing to break or catch a kid.

b1gd4ta t1_j34e6cb wrote

Describe turning process and weight of said luge sledge on the way back up please

MadAss5 t1_j34p7od wrote

You turn by dragging your hands or feet. I just checked and it weighs 19lbs. It holds up to 3 kids so they can pull it up together but my 8 year can do it alone. It does have a bit of rope attached.

bezerkeley t1_j3412be wrote

Lucky bums on Amazon is OK. Certainly not disposable but I would not call it BIFL. Your little guys will grow out of them quickly, so should be good. Have fun with your little ones. That age is the best, enjoy every moment.