Submitted by Soulstarter t3_10plcbp in BuyItForLife

Couple months ago I bought a very expensive down comforter and cover from the company store as this subreddit has rarely steered me wrong.

While I will say that the down comforters are obviously very high quality, I did not like it and hoped to grow into it. I have not. It's very baggy/crinkly, always making sounds when move even though it's been thoroughly used and even washed at this point.

Im looking for something that doesn't gather static, and is nice and smooth on the skin. I don't sleep cold or hot so that doesn't matter. Any ideas on what I should be looking for?

This is the comforter I bought: https://www.thecompanystore.com/selections/lacrosse-tcs-down-comforter/C3E6-Q-WHITE.html

Would very much appreciate some direction!

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Junior_Ad2955 t1_j6l6h16 wrote

100% Frankenmuth Woolen Mill. Made in the same factory since 1894 and no changes in quality. They last for decades and keep us the perfect temperature. They are like heaven. That’s an understatement. We absolutely love them, the best thing we did for our bed.

MotherofD t1_j6le69b wrote

Perfect temp?! immediately googling

nahtorreyous t1_j6mqoz2 wrote

From what I've read, that's a common trade for wool in general.

Blonde_disaster t1_j6o6md2 wrote

Wow thanks for this! I’m from Michigan and feel like I should’ve known about them!

imyxle t1_j6o06qj wrote

Do you use it year round?

Junior_Ad2955 t1_j6pd077 wrote

Yes we do, we have our house at 72 in the summer and it gets a little hotter than that in our bedroom, and we use it in the winter and it is fantastic in both extremes

graywoman7 t1_j6l9j6r wrote

It makes noise and crinkles? I’ve owned a down comforter for years and that’s not normal. They don’t make any more sound than a thick blanket makes. I wonder if they use a plasticky material for the baffles or something. If you explain what’s happening they might consider it defective and under a warranty.

bblickle t1_j6lbfsm wrote

You might consider a duvet cover to tame that comforter

WeepToWaterTheTrees t1_j6oqd5u wrote

This would be my idea. I love duvets because then I don’t have to wash and dry down every week or two.

Perplexed-Owl t1_j6o9o21 wrote

The crinkly noise is probably due to the very very tightly woven cover fabric from tightly twisted thread which is somewhat stiff to keep the down inside. Sign of quality.

t3hs4v4g3 t1_j6mjpjd wrote

I got a woollen one and I love it, 10/10. I purchased from Wool Room, I got the all season. It’s basically two blankets that snap together so you can choose the warmth. I’ve also heard great things about Frankenmuth. .

My husband and I are fairly hot sleepers and it regulates temp well, but is still plenty warm in the winter. It’s not fluffy (if that’s important to you), but it has a decent weight still. Not like weighted blanket heavy, but a cozy weight.

mad_dog_94 t1_j6l6838 wrote

I was unaware BIFL bed toppers were a thing. Sheets I understand but I've had the same quilt and comforter since I was old enough to make the decision for myself

lasdue t1_j6mbe23 wrote

Comforters aren't BIFL but a good one will last ~10-15 years

Due-Risk1400 t1_j6lho89 wrote

Quilts can be good quality and theyre warm an simple

aDDnTN t1_j6mu9km wrote

my wife and i have always been about top quality down and down alternative comforters. we have a few and like they all don't have the feather stems, and are built for various seasons.

we got a SILK insulated duvet from ikea, "MJUKDÅN". i think it was the "warm" one but we are in TN so maybe "light warm" is the only option, but it said warm on the shelf. it cost as much as a top-end goosedown comforter.

we love this duvet liner. the weight is nice. you can layer it with blankets or sheet on top. it doesn't get too hot. it warms up quickly and can keep you very warm and dry. it doesn't trap moisture or retain odors.

silk filled duvet liner has been our only comforter used since buying it. it's easy to clean, but not necessary to clean often, like a down comforter. we keep a sheet on top because of pet hair, and i strip that plus the sheets but leave the duvet intact and hang it out. rarely needed to wash either cover or liner.

SeaworthinessTop1419 t1_j6n5gxk wrote

The noise complaint is due to the fabric exterior, not the down itself. I suggest you go in person to a store and touch the comforters yourself so that you'll like its exterior cover. Also would suggest you check out some of the down alternative comforters, so of these have an exterior that may be more to your liking. If you're able I'd suggest checking out Costco/Sam's Club since you've all ready spent so much on one. Invite me to your yard sale when you find the one you like! Best wishes.