Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

ConBroMitch t1_j68cmvb wrote

I hate to be this guy, but it doesn’t exist.

Consider a stovetop kettle for a true BIFL product. Demeyere, Richmond Kettle Company and alessi to name a few classics.

_Mechaloth_ t1_j688jjc wrote

Bonavita or Fellow.

deusex_platypus t1_j6bhdxa wrote

Is fellow actually good quality. It looks nice but idk if it’s bifl

cherlin t1_j691qmj wrote

Neither are Bifl, I have had both fail within 2-3 Years of use. The fellow is better built for sure, but both will fail at some point (within a few years most likely) and be unrepairable. That being said I don't know of anything better, so that may just be the reality of the category.

−1

Dracomies t1_j696wrm wrote

BIFL aside, the Cuisinart CPK-17P1 is my recommendation.

_easy_e t1_j6h3kxq wrote

I agree BIFL aside it’s decent.

I’ve gone through 2 in 5 years with near daily use.

They rust quickly and are not repair friendly. Cuisinart seems to know this as they have refurbished stock readily available for warranty claims.

Also Cuisinart doesn’t stock parts or support repair.

Ninja_Pollito t1_j6b7y7s wrote

I have had my Cuisinart CPK-17P1 for five years. I use it almost every day.

aolyougotmail t1_j689bn6 wrote

Stay away from plastic spouts. My work kettle is 100% stainless steel with a metal spout, I just open the plastic lid to avoid having boiling water contact when pouring water into my mug. My home kettle is all glass with a glass spout. Same thing, I open the lid to avoid any possibility of toxic plastic contamination when exposed to boiling hot water. FWIW, I don't trust "BPA free" labels, etc.

TheFirstUranium t1_j69j2k0 wrote

I have a bonavita. It looks terrible due to something with the finish, but it's been used daily for 4 years and counting. It's also been dropped and spilled on quite a bit. It's not heavily built at all, but it's a kettle, so it isn't like it needs it.

As for the finish, it's either porous and terrible or breaking down somehow. I went through a depressive episode a couple months into owning it, let it get some dust, and the thing has looked dull and dirty ever since. And it's only just starting to develop scale, which given how hard the water is here, I'm very pleased with.

Appropriate_Alarm_92 t1_j6bd3wy wrote

I went down this rabbit hole like 5 years ago and ended up buying a cheap Amazon brand one despite initially looking for a more BIFL item. It's worked like a charm and I don't regret it. However, I'm watching this thread to see what people recommend.

MrHuckleberryFinn t1_j6c1hcg wrote

Our oxo gooseneck has been making us pots every day for 5 years now without fail. Seems like a simple and indestructible piece of equipment, not sure what would break on it.

Diotima245 t1_j6ck4jb wrote

Aroma it’s all steel inside

jamexcb t1_j69p056 wrote

If you have an induction stove. Just buy one for the stove. I just tested my Electric cattle 2400w 0.5L water takes about 2min. In the induction. 1800w also 0.5L is 1.5min.

IReplyWithLebowski t1_j6dbixd wrote

Depends where you live. I heard the lower voltage in the US means it takes longer to boil water than elsewhere.

aztecannie99 t1_j6e0ynv wrote

Mueller makes a good one, but honestly we use our stove top Le Crueset on a daily basis.

AutoModerator t1_j6849x9 wrote

Hello /u/1212gatez! Thank you for your submission! The AutoMod thought that your post might be a request type post and has changed the flair accordingly, but if this was wrong feel free to change it back!

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.