Submitted by Cgodz88 t3_10p0m6u in BuyItForLife

Hi all, I'm after a new hiking shoe, previously I owned a pair of Merrell Moab 2s which I wore for around two years but always ended up with pain at the back of my heels and in general wasn't impressed by them due to comfort and always getting wet (!)

I live in the UK, will mostly be hiking in places like the Peak District, Wales and occasionally Scotland, mostly will be hiking in these areas with the odd mountain climb two-three times a year.

I learnt the importance of wool socks and have purchased a few pairs but need a shoe that will last me years, I'm after a few things:

• Something which will keep the water out or atleast dry up quite fast if water does enter - this has been an issue with previous pairs I've wore, I could be walking over a stepping stone which had slightly been covered by water and once the water has splashed onto my shoes I instantly feel it on the inside and over my socks, I now get having wool socks will for the most part fix this issue but I'd rather not have any enter unless I've stepped into water which height exceed my shoes !

• I pack my bag quite light as I don't like to hike too heavy, on a mountain like Snowden the bag would be heavier but as I mostly hike around peak/lake district I like to pack light so I think the lighter the shoe the better as I won't be too heavy on foot.

I have a pair of Nike Pegasus 39s that I use for running, these may be sufficient in the warmer/hot climates we get mid year here in England but I definitely need something for every other season when it's either cold, wet, muddy and slippery.

Sorry for such a long paragraph 😄 but I know the more information I provide the easier it is to assist with what I may need

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

AutoModerator t1_j6hpyyj wrote

Hello /u/Cgodz88! Thank you for your submission! The AutoMod thought that your post might be a request type post and has changed the flair accordingly, but if this was wrong feel free to change it back!

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

Muncie4 t1_j6hso2j wrote

You live in one of the most target rich shoe making countries in the world. Explore the space. All you need do is find boots that fit your budget, are recraftable and are waterproof. https://www.trickers.com/row/

FLTDI t1_j6hvidn wrote

One thing I'll say about the Moab 2 is that they have various levels of waterproofing. They sell ventilated ones for dry summer hiking, standard, goretex, winter/ice ones.

This wouldn't change your comfort issues, but for you or anyone else reading this looking it's something good to be aware of.

cic9000 t1_j6i1j3v wrote

Lighter shoe = less stability and possibly less support. Also less longevity.

I mean it’s mostly a question what you’re comfortable with. Personally I have been using trail runners for everything but high mountaineering terrain, so take a look at Salomon/ASICS/Brooks. If you want waterproof just buy a pair with gore Tex.

Alternatively you can go with an approach shoe, those are a bit sturdier/stiffer but are still relatively light and have a climbing notch that comes in useful on light/medium terrain. Usual brands are Scarpa/La sportiva/Hanwag

waehrik t1_j6i8wa3 wrote

Avoid Asolo. The foam they use to attach the sole degrades even without use. I have a set that was only about 10 years old but lightly used and which sat for a few years when I didn't do much hiking. When I took them out, not even 1/2 mile into a trail the sole started flapping loose. Apparently it's a very common problem. I had them resoled with a Vibram sole because the upper is so comfortable but it was tough even finding someone to work on them.

LordOfTheDerp t1_j6i96vv wrote

I'm all aboard the Keen train. Keens' waterproofing does not use PFAs in the process. Their Targhee II are bomb proof and with 3-4 hikes a year will last a looong time.

I love my MOAB 2s but Merrell's parent company has no issue poisoning the UP.

LordOfTheDerp t1_j6ik2i2 wrote

They're good boots. I like the wide toe box and their rubber is equal to the vibram in Merrells, in my experience.

Their leather is well stitched and, as I said, bomb proof. Again, from my experience.

clumaho t1_j6ils11 wrote

Whatever boot you chose, go out and buy a few pairs of Thor-lo "Light Hiker" socks. They have been my daily wear for decades and make a world of difference.

nahtorreyous t1_j6irfan wrote

Whatever you decide, look at REI. They have a 12 month return policy, no questions asked.

RecklessSeer t1_j6is3xr wrote

I've put a lot of miles on my Vasque St Elias boots over the last 6 years. One of my regular hiking buddies got a pair around the same time and he still loves his too. Super waterproof and they don't get too hot. Not the lightest boots, but they've saved me from many ankle sprains and they still keep ankle height water out.

The plastic in the sole is starting to get flexible and rocks are starting to be more noticeable under foot so I'll need to replace them before my next 10+ day hike, but this is normal for hiking boots.

ellisdeee t1_j6iueoc wrote

If you like nike, ive hiked many miles on their wildhorse shoe.

I would put altra shoes in the top. They have a few different models to chose from to suit your needs.

If youre looking for a full size hiking boot id recommend asolo. They are very stable solid boots.

ram_hawklet t1_j6iufm5 wrote

I like lowa renegades. Pretty durable (lot of stitching tho which can degrade over a long time and a lot of use), and one of the lightest with full ankle support

edcculus t1_j6j3ksl wrote

I'm also in the market for a new hiking shoe. I've also started rock climbing in the last 3 months or so - one thing that has come across my radar are approach shoes. Pretty much the large players in the game are LA Sportiva and Scarpa.

Approach shoes are kind of a hybrid hiking shoe and climbing shoe. They tend to be sturdier than a general hiking shoe, and have some features of a climbing shoe to help scrambling over dangerous rocks on an approach.

From what Im reading on reviews, is that as long as you know they are going to be kind of stiff and have a decent break in period, they are very sturdy long lasting shoes that can be used for general hiking and slumming around town etc.

imnotageologist t1_j6jhd2z wrote

I have a pair of scarpa Kailash, and have had them for 5 years. I work in an industry where I'm hiking around a lot, and I also enjoy long backpacking trips/hikes. The first hike I ever took these on was a 70 km round trip and I got 0 blisters without breaking them in. I love these shoes, I got my boyfriend to buy himself a pair of the men's ,he loves them. They're a good shoe.

Hot-Kaleidoscope-304 t1_j6lby2v wrote

I used to be a Merrill Moab guy. Tried out a pair of Oboz. I regret making the change, Moab’s with a nice insole is tough to beat!

robustquorum09 t1_j6lflxm wrote

Unquestionably at the top of the list is Merrell. But I was a little disappointed when I used a pair of the brand's sneakers. But overall it's okay.

DPL646 t1_j6n4dlg wrote

I love anything KEEN.

Busy_Document_4562 t1_j6od402 wrote

I have a pair of boreal droms, they're approach shoes and they're the tits. Theyre new so not sure how long they will last, but reviews did describe them as indestructible.

I got them for this reason after having la sportiva Tibetans fail after realitively little wear, 10 years old but 1 or 2 hikes a year . They became drenched inside and I could feel the water enter from where the sole meets the upper. They were the most comfortable shoe ever, even after days of hiking but I don't think I will ever be able to trust the brand after a failure like that.