Submitted by CutiePatootieLootie t3_10tbfno in BuyItForLife

I want one that can accurately simulate the colors of a sunrise, and also be able to use my phone to set the alarm sound.

I'm looking at the Philips SmartSleep Wake-up Light HF3520 but it seems a bit overpriced for an led alarn clock. Before I bought it, I wanted to hear if anyone knows of a cheaper model that does the same job and quality? If not, just some other options worth checking out would be good too.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

fbm1900 t1_j76bxbj wrote

I bought the HF3520/60 at least ten years ago and it’s been great- so lives up to the BIFL.

The new model seems too expensive. If you’ve never had a sunrise alarm, I’d recommend a cheaper option or scale down your must haves. My personal opinion is that a good transition from soft to bright is more important than accurate colors.

If you have had other sunrise alarms, then you definitely know what you want and Philips will probably be the best.

CastaneaDentata7 t1_j76k785 wrote

We use a pair of smart led light bulbs. They turn on on schedule and there is a sunrise setting. :)

pamdathebear t1_j76adag wrote

You can use a $15 dimming, color changing smart bulb

l3Ul3l3A t1_j76f66h wrote

Just download “Alarmy” for iOS. Much more effective and let’s you choose a from versions puzzles that must be solved before the alarm stops. I tried the Philips smart sleep and it never really got bright enough to wake me, I could just easily roll on my other side and keep sleeping

smoothies-for-me t1_j77pm6n wrote

It's not really about waking you, it's about how your body reacts to the changing light. Most people still need to use a regular alarm.

596989 t1_j76660t wrote

Following :)

Routine-One-2102 t1_j76p7op wrote

I had a basic lumie sunrise alarm for around 15 years, so t worked without fault but ultimately ate bulbs (filament style). I changed to a Philips one with an LED which is not replaceable and will work for the lifetime of the unit, approx 10000 hours. My rough calculations of an hour per day of use of the led will mean it lasts 27 years which is good enough for me.

mad_peach t1_j772i6h wrote

I bought the HF3520 - used, was about two years old. I used it for another year then it started to misbehave. Sometimes it wouldn‘t light up or just turn off the light again after reaching max brightness. I loved it but I wouldn‘t buy it again.

That thing isn‘t able set the time via radio. Also if you lose power, you have to set the time again. No battery support whatsoever. I expect more - this product hasn‘t really evolved over the years yet they are pricey!

Now I bought a Philips Hue bulb and a bridge so I can use it as my sunrise alarm. Works like a charm and is even more versatile.

Diotima245 t1_j7nilcp wrote

Replace the ac adapter you’re describing a failing ac adapter.

Diotima245 t1_j7niez8 wrote

Philips HF3520… best alarm clock ever. I have had to replace the ac adapter tho found a replacment adapter on Amazon. I’ve had mine around 10 years.