Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

SmplTon t1_j91yhdv wrote

A lone straight razor advocate here, I’ve been using the same one for four years and with routine care it scares the hair off my face.

bi_polar2bear OP t1_j92rhgx wrote

I had a barber use a straight razor once, and I had razor burn for days. I really wanted to see if I could switch to one, so I went to a professional who was known for their shaves. Unfortunately, it would've taken months for me to get used to it. Not everyone has that issue, though I did.

SmplTon t1_j92tl84 wrote

Totally reasonable; it’s something that takes a lot of patience and that will have inevitable painful lessons. I came up using safety razors so changing my mindset from “whip whip whip” to slow and thoughtful was difficult and slicey. For longevity I don’t think they can be beat, but they are in no way convenient. The razor burn thing sounds like it might have been bad technique

Qkix t1_j933iwt wrote

I use a shavette, like a straight razor but with replaceable blades. Focuses the mind.

I haven't bought a regular straight razor because the good ones seem really expensive.

Obers022222 t1_j95szvd wrote

Shavettes are so fun. And while stainless steel safety razors are usually pretty pricey, all my shavettes are stainless and dirt cheap. They are built for life for the cost of a few dollars.

omw_to_valhalla t1_j94zmvr wrote

I love my straight razor!

I have very tough beard hair and sensitive skin. It gives me the least irritation of any shave I've had.

I also really enjoy the old-school nature of the straight razor ritual.