Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

SloChild t1_j9pi082 wrote

I built both a cold smoker and barbecue grill with hot smoker for my in-laws in the Philippines because I couldn't find either. Then I taught them how to make ham, bacon, smoked pork ribs, and so much more. I already had the knowledge and skills to build them. Figuring out what locally available woods were good for flavor required some trial and error. FYI - Jackfruit is a fantastic option, but is a pain to source and cut. Guava is much easier in both ways, and is only slightly less desirable for flavor. Then there is the husk of a coconut (don't use coconut tree wood). It has flavors that mix well with others, yet aren't good alone. It should only be about 10 to 15 percent of the mix, but it's extremely easy to find. That, redditors, is how I spent my covid lockdown time. It was well worth it.

Emuc64_1 t1_j9pnc2u wrote

Was that for them to use as a business or just enough for home use?

SloChild t1_j9pqnh0 wrote

I built them, in addition to just having something to do to keep from going crazy during the lockdown, for their personal use. However, after the first batch of bacon and ham came out of the cold smoker, my brother-in-law expressed interest in the idea of making small batches for sale. I don't see why they couldn't produce as much as 10 or 15 kilos (22 to 33 lbs) per week, if they really wanted to. They could possibly run a small restaurant using the barbecue, but it's built-in rather than mobile.

Emuc64_1 t1_j9ptq34 wrote

That's pretty cool all around. Who knows it's might be a good side-hustle for them.

Some BBQ/smoked meat places in the Southern US are only open 3 days a week, charge a premium, and still have lines out the door.