Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

CosmonautJizzRocket OP t1_j7wzg0d wrote

So guys these most likely have high levels of lead. I'm too lazy to do extensive research but after some surface level internet browsing i'd say that these are in fact not BIFL if we take into consideration the possible effects they may have.

Thanks for the comments

Occhrome t1_j7xak1f wrote

I would still keep them as containers for other things.

debeezy t1_j7xlm6n wrote

Like what

Geneocrat t1_j7xw22e wrote

Bullets, paint from the 60’s, vials of mercury from your old thermometer, anything you’re waiting to take to the hazardous waste day that is usually held for 2 hours during working hours once a year as published on the bulletin board at the fire station.

TristanTheViking t1_j7z719p wrote

>as published on the bulletin board at the fire station.

In the basement, behind a sign saying "Beware of leopard."

StellarValkyrie t1_j7zh7if wrote

I keep all that on a shelf in the garage next to my lawn darts set.

Geneocrat t1_j7zhufi wrote

I had a broken thermometer safely stored in Tupperware and (super safely!) wrapped in a bread bag in my garage for three years.

Every so often I’d google how to dispose of it. I called places on lists and they had no idea what I was talking about.

Eventually I just threw it away. I decided it was safer than forgetting about it and someone accidentally exposing themselves.

g00dis0n t1_j7xnyok wrote

Other people's teeth and belly button fluff

QuickNature t1_j7ytapx wrote

Literally anything you won't consume that will fit?

JAK3CAL t1_j7ximaw wrote

Haha I inherited mint conditions boxes of this shit from my great aunt. We didn’t end up using it, and no one wanted it. During our last move, it went to the dumpster as sad as that is. Broke my heart honestly cause they look fucking sweet lol

SmartM0nk3y t1_j7xodb8 wrote

New sets cost about $20 (at Costco) for a set bigger than this.....

Jkbucks t1_j7y3ob0 wrote

Just make sure you microwave them often and run them through the dishwasher on hi temp. That’ll burn off those bad chemicals.

dkb52 t1_j7y92fj wrote

I'm 70 years old. I've been drinking from, eating from, and storing food in Tupperware since the '60s. I consider myself - and I have witnesses - that I'm quite intelligent and have good common sense. I don't have sudden jerky movements or slurred speech. I think the dangers of Tupperware products are more concerned with developing children, but I'm not an expert in that field, so I could be mistaken.

I was also raised eating food served in, cooked in, and stored in 1960s Pyrex! (I was already about 10) It's true. "Thanks, Mom. The leaded casserole tasted great!" I 'stole' my mom's #5 blue Pyrex bowl when she started getting rid of her "old" kitchen stuff. I always use it to hold the cooked ground beef for tacos, just as my mom did in the way backs. :) She came to visit me one year and said, "You kept that old thing?" (MOM!) This is the same woman who threw out a lot of my treasured things because, hey, 6 kids, packing for traveling around the world. Not going to bring it if you can't wear it or eat it. She'll be 91 in April and we spend time on the phone laughing about the old days a lot.

*Sorry, I guess I don't know when to shut up. I will now.

ConnorGoFuckYourself t1_j7yl6v4 wrote

Out of curiosity, do you think that old Pyrex is leaded glass?

As I'm pretty sure the old stuff is borosillica glass, the same stuff that laboratory glass is made from, which is why it was so heat resistant and doesn't leech anything out (chemists don't want lead to ruin their reaction and the glass needs to withstand sudden temperature changes).

Newer American Pyrex is much more brittle due to it using a cheaper glass (quartz or sodalime, if I recall correctly), though apparently European Pyrex is still borosillica.

Another fun one that you may remember; fiestaware, the really brightly coloured ceramic dinner sets that were popular in the 50s/60s, the red, yellow and orange (I think) contained uranium oxide as part of all of the brightly coloured glaze, an acidic meal such as spaghetti would leach significant uranium out. It will also make a geiger counter sing like a canary.

Whereas uranium glass (bright green and glows under UV) doesn't carry anywhere near the same risk of leeching.

musclegeek t1_j7zpkar wrote

Just an FYI: Borosilicate glass is and has always been very easy to break from physical impact. The og Pyrex was no different. Pyrex changed it to Sodalime glass because modern everyday usage of glass cookware saw much more breakage from slight drops or impacts.

Yes, sodalime is much more sensitive to temperature gradients but we just don’t make many frozen casseroles anymore or really have a need to take a dish from a freezer to an over like they used to.

dkb52 t1_j80y3r5 wrote

Yes. I guess my family dodged the bullet.

Atanakar t1_j7yjee1 wrote

Plastics are not bifl in my book anyway. They all eventually degrade. Get glass or steel!

(if you don't store food in it then it doesn't really matter)

2317 t1_j7zliq2 wrote

You can still BIFL as long as you don't mind it reducing the length of your life.

Paula92 t1_j80j34e wrote

I mean, how long of a life are we talking? Could technically still be BIFL…