Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

matttriplecrown t1_j9oi9u5 wrote

Bottles tend to fail at the lid. Avoid lids/bottles with moving parts (like foldable handles, pop tops, etc.) - there’s just more to break. Either way, I’d go with something that sells replacement lids. Bottles with built in straws are no go for me - a pain to clean. Same with bottles with narrow necks. I like to be able to actually reach into the bottom of the bottle and scrub with my hand rather then a bottle brush that will eventually need to be replaced or any gimmicky cleaning tabs.

I like the Yeti Rambler series for insulated bottles - I like them for their simplicity. They are wide mouth (easy to clean & accept large ice cubes), the handle-like lid is nice to carry/hold, easier to open with a work glove or bulky winter/ski glove, nice to grab out of a tightly packed bag, and can also attach a carabiner if wanted for extra security (when I paddleboard I can easily leash bottle to board and enjoy ice cold water all day). No problems with lid leaking. I go stainless steel - no paint to chip. I’m active in the outdoors, and very tough on gear and haven’t had any problems but they do sell replacement lids if needed.

Good old Nalgene bottles if wanting something that’s not insulated. Go wide mouth (easy to clean, nice for large ice). replacement lids available. Use and abuse mine, shows wear but otherwise will last for years.

Gopokes34 t1_j9p4ri3 wrote

Yeti is the best when it comes to these items. I have tried many of the popular brands, and while they don't suck, Yeti has held up the best. Also, many talk about just getting the knock off version. I think they're missing a valuable part of BIFL. Yeti has replacement lids and nearly everything (and some form of warranty) where you can continue to use the item for a long time. Those Ozark trail ones have already changed designs on some of them I believe.

goblinqueen487 OP t1_j9oj1nk wrote

Brilliant this has been informative. Thank you.

NapTimeFapTime t1_j9ok5pw wrote

I’m not sure where you’re located, but the thrift shops around me usually have gently used Nalgene bottles for a couple bucks.