Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

vankamperer t1_j9slkdx wrote

look for a local craft fair. there may be a leather worker who makes high quality belts. I've seen several.

ChocolateSmoovie OP t1_j9sm91n wrote

This is a great idea. I never would have thought of this.

w00t89 t1_j9tdlbw wrote

Not a bad idea, but the quality is more variable. I got one from a craft fair and the leather was great quality but the build was so shoddy it fell apart within 2 months. I’m a fan of weargustin.com, I’ve had one of their belts for around 5 years and it shows no signs of wear and looks great. Nice looking patina on it now too.

geocyclist t1_j9tkqgp wrote

I’ll second this, especially if you’re in an area with Amish or Mennonites. Last one I was at, they had a stall with strip stock that they would cut to your size and build the belt while you waited.

lynxss1 t1_j9tu4g0 wrote

I second this. I got a belt from a street vendor in Santa Fe, NM 20 years ago and still looks like new. They made it in front of me and I got to pick different custom options that they made on the spot. It was quite expensive though at $300 with sterling silver and turqoise but hands down best belt I've ever owned, my primary belt as every other one I've tried has fallen apart quickly.

I found this vendor again last month and I was so happy as I'd been looking for another in a different color for decades. Inflation sticker shock though my same belt in black is now $700 ouch! going to have to save up.

AgreeableStep69 t1_j9u96u4 wrote

700€ for a belt?! goddamn, seems excessive even for a good one

lynxss1 t1_j9uc8sa wrote

Dollars not Euros but yes still very high. It's mostly the stones and silver driving the price though, I bought the wife a small ring last year that was $100 for the same materials. I cringe spending so much on just a belt but I've literally been trying to find another one for 20 years.

This would have to be my one splurge for the year though and dont want to do it right out of the gate so going to hold off for a while, last years purchase was a pair of Nick's boots.