Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

grownuphere t1_j9hmt98 wrote

A lot of folks in that demographic seem to gravitate towards the Subaru Forrester. Easy to get in, easy to get out, and terrific visibility.

waehrik t1_j9ii811 wrote

Odd choice considering the timing belt and head gasket issues

zclake88 t1_j9k9ecr wrote

What do you drive?

waehrik t1_j9kfvmh wrote

Polestar 2 for me, Ioniq 5 for my wife

zclake88 t1_j9knt1i wrote

So you’re driving a car that has a 3 year track record and denigrating a car that has numerous instances of exceeding 300000 miles because of a repair that costs $1200?

Odd choice considering the cost of a battery pack.

waehrik t1_j9kuli3 wrote

I agree. And you'll note that I've never claimed either to be BIFL or known to be particularly reliable or low maintenance. Only that Subaru is not.

zclake88 t1_j9kvg5w wrote

Subarus are reliable and low maintenance. So what I’m saying is you don’t know what you’re talking about.

F-21 t1_j9nq2ot wrote

I think the issues are a bit overblown online, and mostly resolved with recent models (OP is looking for a new car after all). The ~2000-2013 models were more notorious for these issues.

[deleted] t1_j9jqnl8 wrote

Also came here to recommend a Subaru. My 80 year old relative drives an Outback, a 73 year old relative drives a Forester, and a 30 year old relative also has a Forester. Subarus are reasonably sturdy, drive great in all weather, but most importantly have many safety features which are especially helpful for older folks.

honbadger1014 t1_j9kaq0i wrote

Subaru recently changed up their 2023 forester to have a bigger display where a lot of the controls are via the touch screen. The Crosstrek appears to not have been updated yet, due to this I'd recommend the cross trek for an older person if they prefer buttons and the tactile touch of that!