Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

BAM521 t1_jajqi4g wrote

All the comments on the Cambridge Day’s Facebook post are people blaming the new bike lanes. I feel like I’m going insane.

crazicus t1_jajrlb3 wrote

Some people would blame the crucification of Christ on bike lanes if they could

BAM521 t1_jajrrxf wrote

Oh so that’s what “Christ on a bike” means

pelican_chorus t1_jak6acj wrote

As far as I understand, there were zero parking spots available at the Sermon on the Mount. Then later he got crucified. I'm just saying.

[deleted] t1_jakgav8 wrote

[deleted]

−23

duhrZerker t1_jakvb0j wrote

This randomly sampled distribution should be centered on the population mean and 90 people agreeing would place our subject in the top or bottom 5%. Maybe somebody else should be rethinking their position on the intelligence distribution curve.

ndiorio13 t1_jaje0gz wrote

It is depressing seeing a lot of these longtime local restaurants/bars close down

ONTaF t1_jajpvul wrote

Didn’t they just do a renovation of some kind? So sad to see this, they are a neighborhood staple

burkholderia t1_jak61ha wrote

Yeah during the covid shut down they completely renovated. Like gutted the place basement to roof and redid everything, only to have to close permanently a year later.

Kind-Construction-57 t1_jajf91w wrote

Once got to see Delvon Lamar Organ Trio there. To this day, it’s still a top three concert memory for me. The atmosphere was top notch. This is a real bummer.

guimontag t1_jak3fjq wrote

Hmm so I really loved the food there but I had an insanely terrible interaction with the management there once.

I went there with a friend for dinner and drinks, tipped like 20% on a $55ish bill so like 12 or 13 bucks or something. I'm in my 20s and poor but payday is coming up and I know exactly how much I'm spending the next week so no big deal. Two days later I'm looking at my bank account and it's way lower than I thought it'd be. I've got a charge from Atwood's for almost $200. Turns out the server entered the tip with an extra digit so it was like a $112 tip instead of $12. I call the restaurant and ask them to change/void the charge and the guy I talk to on the phone starts getting really pissy about it, saying it's a big hassle with the credit card company and can he just give me the difference in an Atwoods gift certificate. Holy fucking shit I got so angry I just stopped talking for a second and told them tough luck, do the charge change. Stopped going there as often after that.

slippy_slidey t1_jajid0i wrote

Wow I am so bummed. Atwood’s and Toad forever ✊

caillouistheworst t1_jajsr36 wrote

Damn, Toad closed? Shit. I moved to Waltham a few years ago but used to live near Porter so that place was awesome.

slippy_slidey t1_jajt7r6 wrote

Not yet but the building is for sale. Hoping something could work out but who knows.

This_Cantabrigian t1_jajsqw8 wrote

I liked Atwood’s and I enjoyed going there, however I distinctly remember the place before it, the Overdraught, and I was bummed when that closed as well. So if they open another bar/music venue there it could be good.

IamUnamused t1_jak4it6 wrote

this is a huge loss. Been going there since it opened and have known the owners even longer. We had our wedding brunch there (rented out the place for half a day), seen countless shows there and we even modeled our back patio renovation after theirs. Gah. Whyyyyy

ONTaF t1_jakpj6b wrote

Do you happen to know why it’s closing?

IamUnamused t1_jakuqkw wrote

No, but I have some ideas. I intend to find out on Saturday

IamUnamused t1_jaxb75z wrote

And.... It's just because Patrick and Ryan are tired and kinda want out of the business/lifestyle. I think they know who is taking over the space, but won't say

pob3D t1_jajtejs wrote

Damn, I just started going there! Everyone was so friendly and the food and music are great.

nhf1918 t1_jak4n61 wrote

Love atwoods and sorry to see it go. Hopefully this turns into a similar bar / venue under new ownership though. They just redid the inside and the back patio is perfect. I think someone will snap it up and put out a similar product.

Sncyt t1_jak49nv wrote

A+ sweet potato fries

BuckyWunderlick007 t1_jakwjqg wrote

The wings were dope as was the outdoor space. Cambridge gets more gutted by the day. But hey, more high rise condos with $10 coffee and banks in the ground floor commercial space.

Matterials t1_jals9ma wrote

Toad's closing?!? Dear god, no! That place was like half of my 20's.

Lovebird8 t1_jamk9vo wrote

Noooooooooooooooooo

​

Been going there regularly since 2008. This is devastating.

SomervilleMatt t1_jamwu2z wrote

Atwoods has the most bizarre hours and is just randomly closed sometimes. I really hate that. Love the bar, bartenders, and drinks but really fuck the hours so many places in Boston have.

[deleted] t1_jajs8jy wrote

[deleted]

−35

crazicus t1_jajsjqq wrote

East Cambridge is not a historically well off neighborhood.

Besides, bikes aren’t interfering with Atwood’s whatsoever. But you already know that, you’re just a crank

[deleted] t1_jake1cx wrote

[deleted]

−8

crazicus t1_jakeli9 wrote

I don’t know how you can say that with a straight face. Cambridge median income has done nothing but go up.

Wealthier people aren’t exactly known for creating hip places. All the cool places in Central have shut down because commercial landlords have jacked up rent because Cambridge is becoming a much wealthier city.

[deleted] t1_jakgwpb wrote

[deleted]

−3

crazicus t1_jakhlu5 wrote

Nobody ever had to worry about owning a car in Cambridge, not since the Red Line was built.

Besides, the bike lanes have been there as long as Atwood’s has been there. Bike lanes are not what caused this.

BAM521 t1_jajthm3 wrote

…is this a bit? I genuinely can’t tell.

Anyway, if anyone is wondering why Atwoods or your favorite restaurant is closing, the biggest factor is probably staffing difficulties since COVID pushed a lot of people out of the service industry who will never go back. Only so much you can do.

[deleted] t1_jakfd6h wrote

[deleted]

−9

BAM521 t1_jaks7hz wrote

Okay if you think crime caused Atwood’s to close that is actually very funny. Are you like crushing up and snorting the Herald or something

prekiUSA t1_jakibtn wrote

This is crazy. The whole neighborhood is gentrifying at an incredible rate. High paying jobs in the big tech and pharma industries that are walkable from this neighborhood have made it impossible for the middle class to stick around.

Atwoods is closing because of covid and maybe a change in taste of those new in the neighborhood. Not because of Cambridge becoming more poor.