Submitted by stannenb t3_121zscd in CambridgeMA

>Niche, a data analysis company, used Census data, surveys and other info sources to break down the best cities in the U.S., taking into account the cost of living, safety, school quality, nightlife, walkability, outdoor activities and more.
>
>Topping the list is Cambridge, Massachusetts, home to roughly 117,000. The city, which is also home to Harvard, “offers residents an urban feel” with numerous bars, restaurants, coffee shops and parks. The public schools are also excellent, according to Niche.

https://thehill.com/homenews/3910873-these-are-the-most-livable-us-cities-in-2023-study-finds/

https://www.niche.com/places-to-live/cambridge-middlesex-ma/

>What Sets Niche Apart
>
>Niche is the market leader in connecting colleges and schools with students and families. With in-depth profiles on every school and college in America, over 140 million reviews and ratings, and powerful search and data tools, Niche helps millions of students and families find and enroll in the right school for them. For schools, school districts, and communities, Niche’s platform, data, and services help thousands of schools recruit and enroll more best-fit students.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

TheTr7nity t1_jdol444 wrote

Cambridge also deserves to be on the Most Unaffordable U.S. cities list too.

AllAboutMeMedia t1_jdroyew wrote

Strange how unaffordable doesn't factor into livable. But these types of articles are usually trash anyway.

andymoogsbuttcheeks t1_jdot3jx wrote

Is it really the most livable if most can’t live there?

ClarkFable t1_jdq5o82 wrote

Livable is a weird word choice, but it’s basically not possible to have it be both desirable and affordable.

directtodvd420 t1_jdonv9k wrote

What a title, now tell me which food is most edible pls.

Always__knitting t1_jdp9usd wrote

For real. The price to quality ratio on restaurants in Cambridge is terrible!

contextsdontmatter t1_jdp2fe5 wrote

Id for sure enjoy these restaurants around me if my rent wasn’t so prohibitively expensive

Rgrockr t1_jdqggtk wrote

“Livable” is a strong word when most of the places to buy groceries are premium-priced markets.

I_Fart_In_Trams t1_jdqxvk9 wrote

That’s what draws many people to Cambridge. You can actually buy good quality food at specialized markets, instead of the garbage they sell at the mega stores.

Of course, it’s not the sole reason, but it’s certainly a benefit of living here.

[deleted] t1_jdr0tng wrote

This was probably the most out of touch thing I've heard a rich person say since George bush Sr didn't know what the barcode scanner at the grocery store was

IntelligentCicada363 t1_jdrxq07 wrote

Fresh food and ingredients being a luxury item is not the norm in the rest of the world, although it is increasingly becoming so as other countries follow the US model. Frankly it is a policy choice by the US government to subsidize processed garbage.

BaconNinja89 t1_jdqzmdl wrote

Does liveable mean you can walk from your $4000/month cold drafty two bedroom without parking along the cold desolate streets to empty squares that just have empty bank branches? Or snobby exclusionary institutions?

ktzeta t1_jdrcaqv wrote

Livable is not the same as affordable, which seems to escape some commenters, although affordability is a part of the calculation.

riftwave77 t1_je186h0 wrote

Heh. I saw this list. It should be "The nicest places to live *if* you can live there". I currently live in #18 on the list and have spent a lot of time in #2, #20, and #21. I think Boulder and especially Arlington and Alexandria have a leg up on Cambridge but I enjoyed my summer days walking around Cambridge.