Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

snorpleblot t1_itiy999 wrote

Do you think there is something about this intersection that makes it especially hazardous? (Or is there just something about the drivers on Brookline that makes them hazardous?)

SpyCats OP t1_itiywpe wrote

Yeah, that's a good question. I think it's probably a combination of things -- the stop sign on the right is set pretty far back on Franklin St, so cars who don't know the intersection stop without a line of sight to Brookline then proceed before checking for oncoming traffic. The big purple fence certainly blocks the view. But also cars fly way too fast down Brookline Street. I've seen the aftermath of so many accidents here lately.

justcasty t1_itjidcc wrote

I've narrowly avoided a few accidents there and it's really hard to see oncoming traffic from the right thanks to that fence.

The stop sign is that far back because of the crosswalk, and with so many pedestrians drivers feel like they have to take whatever opportunity they get to squeeze through.

Embarrassed-Spite-96 t1_itjh9d3 wrote

Stop sign, that’s cute. When was the last time you saw anyone stop for a stop sign? It’s a god damn free for all out there

snorpleblot t1_itlwomy wrote

I am remembering now that the light on Mass Ave is green for a while and red for a long time. Is it about this intersection where drivers on Brookline decide if they want to try to make the green light or not. If they decide they want to try to avoid the long red, they will speed up considerably here.

SmashRadish t1_itkmctc wrote

User error. If everyone went the speed limit, they would have enough time to slow down to avoid these accidents. But dinguses trying to shave seconds off their hour long commute kill and maim pedestrians while simultaneously destroying property.

There should be a license plate reader to identify people who drive over the speed limit so we can drive to their suburban shit space and drive over the speed limit and generally terrorize them in their backwater town.

crazicus t1_itqcucb wrote

Too bad automatic enforcement is illegal in Massachusetts

SmashRadish t1_itrm7pq wrote

Rules are made to be changed at the behest of a mob!