Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

lilliavert OP t1_j4lulo4 wrote

Thank you for the suggestion! The installation fees would already breakeven with the cost of this air conditioner so I will seriously consider one of these!

CostcoBrandDinosaur t1_j4lx7z8 wrote

Don't buy what that person linked. They're terrible efficiency. If you're worried about installation and are considering getting a more efficient not to mention quieter unit I highly recommend https://www.midea.com/us/air-conditioners/window-air-conditioners/8000-btu-u-shaped-air-conditioner-maw08v1qwt

They're a little confusing the first time you install but are also braced by a mounted window bracket and have the window between the front and back of the unit, making it physically impossible to fall out with the window shut. The bracket also makes installation easier once you've read the instructions and done it once.

They're also much quieter and lighter than traditional units.

karlanke t1_j4m6t1y wrote

They're for sure quieter, but not lighter - I think mine is the heaviest AC I've ever owned. That said, still 100% worth it for the lack of noise

lilliavert OP t1_j4m2qpo wrote

Thank you! I think I would still face the dilemma of the $90 fee, but this is good to know in case I go down that route anyway.