Submitted by lnbp2022 t3_11hhiwc in ColumbiaMD

Hi all -- looking to hear any thoughts (good or bad) on local daycares. We have a newborn coming within the year, so just trying to get ahead of the waitlist rush.

We are closest to Ellicott City, so have specifically looked at the Goddard School (Marriottsville), the Young School (Ellicott City), La Petit, and several others in that area, so would love to hear any opinions on those particular locations but also open to any other suggestions in the northern part of Columbia.

Thanks!

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

baltikorean t1_jatifox wrote

We've liked our experience with Julia Brown, when your child gets to 15 months.

Out of the three you mentioned if you can afford it Goddard is probably the way to go. The Young School was praised until it got acquired by Learning care Group, who I believe also own La Petit. Since the acquisition it has gone downhill, with many employees leaving and the remaining ones losing morale.

I liked touring Children's World [Edit: Manor], both locations in northern Columbia and Ellicott City, but the Columbia one is the only one that does infants, and of the two, I didn't vibe well with the director. I also liked what I heard from Columbia Academy, my spouse may have toured them, I think we went with JB because of cost.

Another Edit: Primrose is also really highly touted.

cmerrima t1_jau70s9 wrote

We go to Glen Mar in Columbia but very close to Ellicott City and so far we really like it. They do a lot of cute activities with the kids even when they are really young - they fill up quickly, as do the ones on route 40 and the Montessori schools. I had to book daycare before telling most of my family I was pregnant to get a spot 12 weeks after delivery. Feel free to DM for more info and good luck! It is hard out there.

I actually found Geln Mar through the Locate Family Child Care network which is a good resource when you are looking after listening to an NPR story about the website: https://www.marylandfamilynetwork.org/for-parents/locate-child-care

k0vi86 t1_jau2fi6 wrote

If you are near route 40, there are a bunch. Goddard, celebree, la petit, Kiddie academy. If you don't want a chain, there is also little lighthouse off of St John's and Chevrolet drive. Dm me if you want more specific info.

pc81rd t1_jaxpgix wrote

My son went to the Columbia Children's Manor, off Red branch road. He started at 3 months and went until COVID (he was in pre-K by then). I really liked them. He was well cared for as a baby and toddler, and then for preschool/pre-K, the education was good. He's in hcpss now, and is above grade level. Many of his classmates at children's Manor ended up above grade level, too (one classmate from Children's Manor happens to also be in his elementary school class now).

The staff there were great. They also mostly stick around. Many of the teachers that were there when he was a baby were still there when COVID hit. The director was the same, too.

duelingsith t1_jaz8dzp wrote

I also recommend children's manor! We went through several years before COVID and had no complaints whatsoever.

EndyMcPants t1_jbiyvqj wrote

Make sure you look at the state site where they list results from inspections.

Remote_Debate_9846 t1_jauu06v wrote

I sent my daughter to columbia academy by waterloo rd 21045. I would give 3.5 out of 5. Im doing par-time academic day for 1195. The have good activities and very nice teachers/nannies

saffronthread t1_jb6oolg wrote

If you want to look outside of chains we have been very happy with Watchful Eye. Specifically the Columbia branch, but their Ellicott City location is nice as well.

Stay away from Kinder Care in Hickory Ridge.

tiggergrl1016 t1_jckfe3b wrote

I'm a bit late, but also highly recommend Watchful Eye. We go to the Ellicott City location. Their staff has been great. My son has been there for a year now and gets excited when we drop him off.

allawi1983 t1_jb7e9o2 wrote

We are currently using Celebree and so far so good but I know there is a waiting list.