Submitted by Shento t3_ytlwda in ColumbiaMD

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falun_Gong?wprov=sfla1

Saw some people trying to spread Falun Gong/Dafa at Centennial by meditating in front of a sign near pavilion h and just to make sure people researched it if they were interested

While some of the practices sound nice, similar to Buddhism, the leader seems to have some very... Controversial beliefs to put it lightly

I saw some people walking by and looking at it and just want to make sure people look into it

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

mysteryweapon t1_iw545cv wrote

> Falun Gong extensions include The Epoch Times, a politically far-right media entity that has received significant attention for promoting conspiracy theories, such as QAnon and anti-vaccine misinformation, and producing advertisements for former U.S. President Donald Trump. Shen Yun has also received significant media coverage for its emphasis on, for example, anti-evolution statements and promotion of Falun Gong doctrine, while presenting itself as founded upon ancient tradition

Gross

TweedleBeetleBattle2 t1_iw5aysg wrote

Shen Yun is the dancing Chinese Blue Man Group kind of thing I think isn’t it? When I was in Vegas I feel like there were people everywhere handing out fliers for them.

cornonthekopp t1_iw5t6ex wrote

Yeah they really aggressively spread their plays which are basically anti-chinese propaganda

unled_horse t1_iw9q8lg wrote

The dancers used to go to Columbia Mall to advertise when they were in town. I wonder why they're allowed to perform at huge venues when their shows are so obviously propaganda. I went to see them in Ohio and was so disappointed when the song was like "THE END IS NEAR!" Stupid cult crud.

2crowncar t1_iw5l6dj wrote

It’s known to be a cult and owner of the right wing newspaper the Epoch Times that publishes conspiracies. Li Hongzhi is the leader of Falun Gong.

>>Li has been open about his beliefs that evolution is fraudulent, that people of different races will be separated in Heaven, and that homosexuality and promiscuity are unnatural. He told Time that aliens were attempting to control humans by making us dependent on modern science.

The New Yorker

Edit

Moonagi t1_iw5hk52 wrote

Their founder also believed that gays go to hell and heaven is racially segregated.

Sometimes Falun Gong propaganda ends up on the front page.

gravybang t1_iw5tb68 wrote

So it's an extremist religion, basically. Like that church that protests funerals of service members.

FranciscoSolanoLopez t1_iw5o3gz wrote

This group has also lobbied Congress alongside the Church of Scientology. They're just bad news any way you cut it.

hojaytee t1_iwy6c4n wrote

Just like plenty of religions and cults, the day-to-day stuff that individual practitioners do is usually very innocent, positive, hard to criticize. On its surface, Falun Gong is just a group that encourages spirituality, meditation exercises, and some basic philosophical ideas of morality.

It's the Leadership/Organization that's usually the problem, using the power and support they've gathered to further to spread their shitty politics. In this case, what started as just some pseudo-intellectual wanting to spread his ramblings evolved into a group with millions of followers at one point.

The group did garner a lot of worldwide sympathy after the Chinese government cracked down on them HARD in the 90s... being victims of religious persecution surely helped their image in the eyes of the public. But in the end, they're just another damn religious cult.

[deleted] t1_iw513p8 wrote

[deleted]

−15

Shento OP t1_iw5fqn9 wrote

Not trying to be coy, just don't want to tell people what to do as far as join them or not. Just want people to do their research before joining them because they may not be completely honest about their group

I'm not an expert on it, just wanted people to be aware