Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

kris10185 OP t1_j51mi5c wrote

I've been having such a hard time finding all of them. Some I can with a Google search, some I can't. Even the ones I can find though it's so hard to be able to tell what actually would be approved

imani_TqiynAZU t1_j51s1us wrote

Pick the house first. Then you will be sent the guidelines for the applicable HOA. Some are stricter than others.

AKnitWit777 t1_j51wezo wrote

This. My first home in Columbia had three different HOAs and one was so detailed they got down to the off-brand paint color that they wanted me to paint my front step railings.

(Thank you Columbia Home Depot employee who color matched the HOA demanded paint to a Behr paint)

kris10185 OP t1_j520co4 wrote

I know they would send the guidelines after we buy a house, but that would be too late. I would prefer not to bother touring homes if I know in advance that secure fencing is off the table

imani_TqiynAZU t1_j52fio9 wrote

Good point.

I only looked at houses that already had a fence. Also, when I adopted my second dog, the Howard County Animal Shelter came and inspected the fence. They found that the split-rail fence was more than adequate.

Gullible-Crab564 t1_j52h1to wrote

In my experience, we were given the set of covenants when we signed a contract to purchase a home. We had 3 days to fully review and ask any questions about the covenants with the option to back out of the contract during that window. I don’t know if that’s still the case.

That said, it sounds like the fencing for your doggos is a priority. So don’t get hung up on Columbia, check Ellicott City and nearby communities. You might find a more suitable home. Good luck!

Rashaverik t1_j51u6sw wrote

kris10185 OP t1_j520ihs wrote

Thank you! I've seen that website but I haven't been able to find all the details about fencing for each individual HOA. Some don't seem to be online anywhere

Rashaverik t1_j52ga9u wrote

I'd say concentrate on finding a place. Then look into that particular village's guidelines. If it's even covered under a village. There are plenty of 'outparcels' which are independent of CA and the villages within Columbia. They don't have the same restrictions.

kris10185 OP t1_j52ppuq wrote

Been trying it that way for 6 months or so and it's been frustrating to think a place looks great and then scour the internet to find guidelines only to discover it's not going to work for us because of fencing requirements. I was hoping for a way to narrow down where to look in the first place.

ttsci t1_j52ulcd wrote

Since this is such a big deal breaker for you, I would suggest narrowing your search exclusively to Ellicott City and Columbia outparcels. There are a lot of lovely homes that are right on the edge of Columbia so you can easily use all the amenities and enjoy the general area. Columbia is a great place to live but you can get nearly the same experience living two miles away and not having to worry about your dogs.