Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ttsci t1_j5qw3qn wrote

As a follow-up, I looked more into the "limited penalties" and they are as follows:

> Under HCC section 17.1009(H),leases must state that tenants may terminate on 60 days written notice due to:

> * The death of a wage earner whose income was used to qualify for the lease, when confirmed by a death certificate.

> If you terminate the lease due to the above circumstances, you may be held liable for no more than two month's rent or actual damages whichever is less.

So absolute maximum, you'd owe two months of rent if you were to terminate your lease

It's still worth getting the Office of Consumer Protection involved because the landlord might be even more accommodating knowing that you know your rights and have the government involved - maybe they'll let you take a one-unit so you don't have to figure out housing in the meantime. Obviously I would hesitate to renew any lease with them again, but in the meantime it could save you from having to do an apartment search.

RebornBoii OP t1_j5qxy6n wrote

Thanks a lot for this information. I guess I kind of just thought that it might be easier to find a second job, especially because I don't exactly have anywhere else to go. I also thought that maybe working extra would help me take my mind off things.

But I am absolutely going to follow through with this, because I've kind of had it with my landlords and it'd be nice to stick it to them if I actually have a legal case that can get me out of this. I plan to call tomorrow. Thanks again for the help.

ttsci t1_j5qynzp wrote

No problem at all and best of luck! I'm sure it's been stressful and overwhelming. I hope it goes well for you.