Submitted by Remote_Debate_9846 t3_10pcgnp in ColumbiaMD

Today surprisingly i got a 250$ ticket for passing school bus the other day at the morning.I honestly don’t remember that at all ,but they attached some footages of me passing the bus. Do you think its good idea to elect going to the court option ? Any one has relevant experience please let me know.

Thanks

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

MightyHerb t1_j6jm2k0 wrote

If there's footage I don't think going to court would do much good unless you think someone was driving your stolen car.

Edit: You could avoid it if you think the stop lights were flicking on as your were passing the bus (no reaction time)

dashinny t1_j6jnswb wrote

Just be lucky you didn’t accidentally hit a kid like what happened in the Bethesda/Potomac area last fall

blorbschploble t1_j6jubxl wrote

Ouch. Just pay the fine. It sucks, but going into court with “yeah, I could have potentially mowed down some kids, buuuuut” is not a great look.

Metzger4Sheriff t1_j6jur2u wrote

This was posted in the Montgomery County sub a couple of months ago: https://www.reddit.com/r/MontgomeryCountyMD/comments/yam7yb/so_you_got_a_school_bus_photo_ticket/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

There may be some county-based nuances that this doesn't take into account, but it gives you an idea of what to expect with the court process. As noted, the Judge can lower the fine, but they can also increase the fine up to $500, so there is a risk in going to court. The OP of that post recommended pleading guilty, and I agree that unless there is a very valid reason for you not being at fault, taking responsibility will probably be the best approach.

Ultraxxx t1_j6kov62 wrote

Do you have a flawless driving record?

tacitus59 t1_j6ksaod wrote

If its your car in the video - just pay it and drive more carefully in the future. As I understand it the photo fines are just fines and don't give you points.

telmar25 t1_j6ms9q2 wrote

Would be careful. This is a $250 fine with no points, correct? You were caught by a camera actually on the school bus. The alternative if you were caught by a police officer is $570 with 3 points on your license. Unless you totally do not have the ability to pay this fine, I would just recommend paying it. Judges may not feel like excusing passing school buses with red lights flashing.