Submitted by Sloppyjoemess t3_127qgvk in Connecticut

I’m taking my mom on a multi day road trip through southern Connecticut up to Boston, and I’d like to find out about some fun or scenic things to do that are under the radar. We’re both from NJ and have spent very little time in CT, so we’re excited to see the coast and the harbor cities!

What are some scenic places to see, fun things to do, and can’t miss opportunities in mid-May?

She’s really interested in early American history, architectural salvage and antique markets, and she’s a big fan of walking through gardens and old estates.

My only experience in Connecticut has been with the Mystic aquarium, and Frank Pepe’s pizza, so I’m eager to hear with the locals have to say!

Thanks all :)

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

G3Saint t1_jefeylh wrote

you can try Harkness Memorial State Park , a Newport style mansion with gardens in Waterford. Nearby is fort Trumbull in New London, a masonry fort with nice grounds on the Thames River.

Betorah t1_jefn3a5 wrote

Walk around in Guilford, CT. Founded in 1639, it’s full of historic homes, including the Hyland House (built 1713), the Thomas Griswold House (built 1764), and the Henry Whitfield State Museum (built 1639–the oldest house in CT and the oldest stone house in New England).

shes-sonit t1_jefij5a wrote

Mother’s Day weekend, Fairfield has its Dogwood Festival up on the greenfield hill. May 12 and 13 I think. This year will be the 86th annual. Dogwoods ‘should’ be in full bloom and it is very scenic ride up there, beautiful houses, blooming trees, etc. there are crafts and refreshments etc. it will be busy, so if you don’t want to get out and walk around, you can just drive through the neighborhoods and enjoy the scenery Fairfield also has beaches and a great little town history museum. You can Aaron Burrs house right down the street and lots of historical houses and cemeteries.
Have a fantastic trip! Edit: added stuff

coolducklingcool t1_jegdnev wrote

Seymour and Woodbury have an antiques trail. Lots of shops.

I’m not sure when it opens, but Elephant’s Trunk is an awesome flea market for Sunday mornings. Should be open in May. Antiques and more. Not quite southern, but worth going north.

Book Barn is lovely if either of you are readers. That’s in Niantic.

NLCmanure t1_jefobwh wrote

Gillette Castle in East Haddam.

alisa62 t1_jegmoyg wrote

Stop in Essex! Very historic. If you’re here May 14th we have the Burning of the Ships commemoration. And go to the Gris for lunch.