Submitted by bowie2019 t3_y6gw7q in Connecticut

Hi all. I commute from New Haven to GCT and then uptown. I am searching for a rain hat, for all these days that it rains on my poor head. I usually wear a baseball cap, so maybe something in that style, but more durable. I am open to other styles that make me look not like a complete dork. I am in midlife, so..

..hoping to get new ideas...

​

Is wool better than waxed cotton/canvas? Looking for long lasting, but also, something I am not going to lose if possible. The longer it is on my head, the better the chance that I don't lose it.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

woodstove7 t1_ispj3da wrote

I’m 38. My mother gifted me a Barbour hat a few years ago. I get a good amount of use out of it. Hat

ProInvestCK t1_ispsumt wrote

Get yourself a sturdy umbrella. Wear whatever hat you want. In colder wet situations I recommend a fleece or wool beanie of some sort. But as you likely know there are wind tunnels between the skyscrapers which will make the rain and snow go sideways. You can use the umbrella as a bit of a shield so it doesn’t hit your face from that sideways action. I used to commute daily to Manhattan and this was my system. Always have an umbrella with you in the city. Pair it with a long coat, at least 3/4 length for more body coverage.

bowie2019 OP t1_isq5qe0 wrote

any umbrella suggestions? this doesn't put me off my hat hunt, but this may be the next thing, if necessary.

GadgetKen t1_ispf730 wrote

Stylish bucket hat with wide brim, neck flap and wind cord on Amazon.

_343_Guilty_Spark__ t1_ispsyze wrote

Can we ask why not just go with a rain jacket?

bowie2019 OP t1_isq57c2 wrote

yes. feel free to ask.

bowie2019 OP t1_isq5ch1 wrote

well. I have a rain coat. it has no hood. it's one of those kinds that is hoodless, and i prefer it without a hood.

_343_Guilty_Spark__ t1_isq8rqs wrote

Well in the event you decide to dabble in rain coats I’ve had a lot of success with the ones from Uniqlo. Very water proof, insulating layers, not too large, pretty stylish, and most come with hoods that have a degree of structure and a small brim built in so you aren’t getting rain in your face. Also as someone else said r/malefashionadvice will probably give you a lot more insightful answers

If you do decide on/find a good hat though report back.

bowie2019 OP t1_isq9vbb wrote

I made a decision. The Seattle Rain Cap from Outdoor Research.